Staying connected to work while on board - HELP!

sandkps

Hi all!

We are going on a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy at the end of the month. Because we own our own business, and work will continue while we're gone, it's important that I stay connected.

I use an iPhone 5S on AT&T, and will have my lap top.

During the day I'll need to be reachable for my employees via e-mail or text. I'll also need to be able to get online quite a bit. Not ideal, but work must go on!

I know that Carnival now has a daily rate for internet usage, which is what I plan on buying. I'm trying to figure out how to best be able to still receive texts & emails without all of the random calls I get daily coming through. I'm thinking that I can forward calls from my iphone to the office line so that I don't incur those charges and then I will use the onboard internet for the emails. I know from talking with AT&T that incoming texts will be free and that there is a charge for outgoing texts.

If there's anyone out there with experience with this, I'd love to hear how you managed while on board!

Thanks so much!

I have to stay connected to work also - ugh. The internet package and speed are very good on Carnival. I think it even supports SKYPE if that is an option for you.

My boss and I text - that seems to work pretty well but there are times when I will just totally lose my signal :rolleyes:

I don't have an IPhone - android though. Can you set your phone to only accept calls from numbers that you select? I am sure someone more tech savvy than I am can give you a better answer as far as the IPhone goes.

It's a pain having to work on vacation but some of us just can't avoid it.

Turn OFF data roaming on your Smartphone

Disable all the apps that update in the background on your data plan. You'd be amazed at how many their are.

Put the number(s) that will be calling you in your Favorites list.

Turn your phone to Do Not Disturb mode and then only those you marked as Favorites will ring through.

Turn your email "push" to manual.

I do this every time and get an update from my office daily and calls that are critical. Works like a charm, and the bill is manageable.

Edited by BallFour4

The internet speed on the ships with upgraded internet plans are good. You should have no problems receiving e-mails. I normally carry my work cell and my company pays the $400 bill. To get around cell charges you can purchase the internet plan and use something like Google voice, Magic jack or Skype. With Google voice you can send text messages via their app and your employees will just need to have it installed on their phones. There are a lot of VOIP options and you just need to find the one that fits your needs.

Hope that helps