Just off the Allure - a few quick tips

fun_one

I was on this same sailing and agree with everything the OP says.

Try Wipe Out Cafe. Rarely a line. All the typical buffet options, including pastries, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, plus made-to-order omelets. The only problem is finding an open bar if you want soda or a cocktail.

Also, I have the Cruise Compasses from this Eastern itinerary scanned. If you'd like a copy, please email me at swwake at icloud dot com.

Hello, I have just emailed you re the above offer for compass, thank you that would be very helpful.

I understand that they are required to charge tax on purchases of single drinks - this has been the practice for years. However, I've not heard of them charging tax on drink packages in US ports before. If this is true, and not a misunderstanding with regard to the 18% service charge, then it's a major change.
I agree, individual drinks are and have been taxed in port for a very long time but I have bought the package once boarded 3 times and never charged tax. They wait until you are out to sea to process the charges. Would be interesting to know the story because I know several people that wait because they want to use up some OBC.

You were doing Eastern ports right? When were formal nights? Based on my last cruise I assume the rest were casual, no more smart casual?

Do you recall what the menu names were each night? Trying to plan a night out but don't want to miss a few favorites like Lasagna :D

Which night was quest? Don't ant to book the comedy show that night.

Can't wait to hear all about it.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I was on this same sailing and agree with everything the OP says.

Try Wipe Out Cafe. Rarely a line. All the typical buffet options, including pastries, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, plus made-to-order omelets. The only problem is finding an open bar if you want soda or a cocktail.

Also, I have the Cruise Compasses from this Eastern itinerary scanned. If you'd like a copy, please email me at swwake at icloud dot com.

Sent request for the compasses :D Thanks so much!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

I agree, individual drinks are and have been taxed in port for a very long time but I have bought the package once boarded 3 times and never charged tax. They wait until you are out to sea to process the charges. Would be interesting to know the story because I know several people that wait because they want to use up some OBC.

You were doing Eastern ports right? When were formal nights? Based on my last cruise I assume the rest were casual, no more smart casual?

Do you recall what the menu names were each night? Trying to plan a night out but don't want to miss a few favorites like Lasagna :D

Which night was quest? Don't ant to book the comedy show that night.

Can't wait to hear all about it.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Formal nights are Night 2 and Night 6 (Nassau and 2nd Sea Day)

Quest was Night 5 (St Martin) at 11:45. You could still do the 10:30 comedy show and then Quest. That's what we did.

Formal nights are Night 2 and Night 6 (Nassau and 2nd Sea Day)

Quest was Night 5 (St Martin) at 11:45. You could still do the 10:30 comedy show and then Quest. That's what we did.

Thanks! I did have the comedy show booked that night at 10:30 and I hate to run from venue to venue so can change it now :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thanks! I did have the comedy show booked that night at 10:30 and I hate to run from venue to venue so can change it now :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

I understand that concern, but it is about a 10 step walk from the comedy club to Studio B :) We were still able to get great seats for Quest. But we did miss the bar flair show immediately before Quest.

Thank you for the tips! I too have emailed you requesting the copies of Compasses.

We don't sail until May of 2016, but it's been prolly 4 years since we sailed Oasis, so it's fun to begin to reacquaint with all the fun! Have been on a few other RCI cruises since, but I think Oasis was truly our favorite, and am thinking Allure will rank right up there, too, esp. with the addition of Izumi's. LOVED it on Oasis!

Thanks again,

Glynda

I followed the advice of another cruise critic poster and called Guest Services since returning from my cruise and they agreed that we should NOT have been changed tax on the drink package just because we bought it in port - so the person on the other end of the phone actually gave me a credit for the $20 x 2 for the drink packages my husband and I ordered. Good to know!

I hope this helps others.

Barbara