12-03-15 Thursday Weigh In - So How Are You Going to Handle the Month?

shootr

Good day everyone!

Little late with the weekly thread (everything I seemed to do today I was running behind...) but hopefully you all have wonderful news to report!

This is definitely the month of challenges – but with some planning I think it is possible to minimize the “damage” while still enjoying the season.

Most proteins are going to be a good bet for calorie control, but even that depends on how it is cooked. If it's chicken – remove the skin, if it's got toppings on fish or beef or pork – scrape them off to the side and just dab at 'em if you need a little extra flavor.

Veggies – I'm just not into them besides my salads. Unfortunately there are tons of sauces and ways to prep that kind of offset the goodness and makes them “not as healthy” as they should be. Same deal – if you can scrape off the cheese, the butter, etc. you'll at least save that.

Pot Lucks – work, family, other gatherings – I guess hope for the best and know you will have control over at least one of the dishes.

I've been quietly whispering in the ears of family and friends for a while now about how I am trying to lessen the processed foods and sugars – not like a zealot trying to crusade, but helpful little suggestions like “hey, maybe leave the cheese sauce in a gravy boat and let folks add as much as they want”, or “have you tried the salt-free seasoning mixes that are out there now”...things like that.

Bring your own – if I know there is going to be snacks and appetizers I try to bring a baggie of celery and carrots and eat mostly those (with a little of the other goodness provided by others).

I'm still prepping my lunches every night before so I know where I'll be in calories by the end of the work day – then I can plan dinner with whomever and wherever and know what I have left if I want to stay within the limit I have set for myself.

Keep your water bottle at hand – even in the 30's I still drink a lot of water riding and hiking to keep good hydration and my tummy fuller.

I still rave about a calorie counter – any calorie counter app. It's amazing how much food nutritional info is at my fingertips. If I know what restaurant I'm going to, I know I will be able to search the menu ahead of time and plan out a meal I will enjoy – and if I have to save a few extra calories earlier in the day then I can plan for that too.

Whatever the next few weeks bring – remember that your mind is just as important! I mean don't deny yourself the joy of the season, or the company and hospitality of others. I'm pretty sure we are supposed to celebrate and enjoy this time of year – so do it. If it means having to pick a new years goal next month, then so be it – but maybe, just maybe you'll find a balance of discipline and enjoyment and make it great month!

Edited by shootr

Up 1lb over the past 2 weeks to 178. With Thanksgiving in the middle of it - I certainly am not going to complain!

Just trying like heck to keep in motion, either walking or riding or hiking - anything to keep from having a whole day not getting some miles in.

Hello,

Thanks for the thread Shootr. Up 1 lb. is not bad considering holidays.

I stayed the same. Even with ham for Thanksgiving and pie around the house. One store bought, one I made.

I baked cookies today for some gifts for family I'm seeing on Saturday. Bake them and give them away, works well for not eating them.

Hmmm, my plan? These days I feel really good about where I'm at and mindful of a 2 week cruise one a month so am watching what I eat. So far, so good.

Good luck to all this week.

Diana

HI all!

shootr ~ thanks for starting the thread & the helpful hints.:D

My scale says I'm up 2 lbs!! I have been having some lunches out such as a Christmas one at the Legion then a birthday celebration at an English tea room with Plum Pudding. I sure hope my clothes will still fit as I'm cruising 2 weeks from today!

Good luck & have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

Great ride this morning:

20e0c1beacb5e7466fdf248a78abeb71.jpg

26 miles out by the river again. I must be a masochist, the uphills are brutal but downhill makes it worth it. Got a full mile at 30mph - quite exhilarating:

dfa5e31bc1a10d1dbadeb98acad71ac8.jpg

Just at 2 hours, then breakfast and shopping with my daughter.

Now it's time to put up the Xmas lights. The busier I stay the further the pantry is from me!

I was down 1 lb on Thursday. I have been visiting friends this weekend so I ate tortilla chips yesterday. i am still doing my workouts. I have been busy shopping for new clothes as my choices in my closet have gotten quite limited. As for holiday eating, I am confident that my willpower will get me through. I have been trying out a plant based diet based on whole foods for the last two weeks. I hope to be able to continue on with that as that should really limit any potential damage of the Christmas season. I hope everyone has a great week!

I feel like I'm falling into a bad habit again with eating too much at dinner time.

Still good on daytime calories but then too big of dinner.

Probably just worrying too much, I'm still walking at night afterwards and getting my rides in.

Actually a great ride this morning - 17 plus miles at 16.5mph avg. Amazing how a day of rest off the bike and not having to stop and blow my nose every 5 minutes improves the lap times :-)

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying your week.

Edited by shootr

Found the easiest recipe ever on Sunday:

Throw a bunch of frozen chicken breasts into the crock pot with a giant jar of salsa and cook on high for about 4 hours.

Shredded super easy and have been eating it for the past few days for lunches.

It's one way to get my veggies :D