Nursery Staff Gratuities?

Dizzly

I'm about to head out on my first Disney cruise on Friday and would love some ideas for how to acknowledge the work of the staff in the nursery.

This is my first cruise with my DS, who is 2. We've booked a little time each day in the nursery so that DH and I can get a little break each day. Since we'll be using the nursery regularly, I'd love to be able to give the staff a gratuity of some kind. I seem to remember a thread or other website written by a former children's staff member that touched on this, but it was a bit old and may be out of date on info.

Would the staff there accept cash tips like a regular gratuity? Would gift cards work better? Should I bring something instead, like up-to-date magazines and candy? Mickey bars from room service? I'd love some ideas from members here on how to show our appreciation.

Also, does anyone know about how many staff there might be in the nursery? I don't want to leave out anyone.

Thanks!

Dizzly

I'm about to head out on my first Disney cruise on Friday and would love some ideas for how to acknowledge the work of the staff in the nursery.

This is my first cruise with my DS, who is 2. We've booked a little time each day in the nursery so that DH and I can get a little break each day. Since we'll be using the nursery regularly, I'd love to be able to give the staff a gratuity of some kind. I seem to remember a thread or other website written by a former children's staff member that touched on this, but it was a bit old and may be out of date on info.

Would the staff there accept cash tips like a regular gratuity? Would gift cards work better? Should I bring something instead, like up-to-date magazines and candy? Mickey bars from room service? I'd love some ideas from members here on how to show our appreciation.

Also, does anyone know about how many staff there might be in the nursery? I don't want to leave out anyone.

Thanks!

Dizzly

No, kid's staff CMs are not allowed to accept cash.

They can (and do), however accept bags of candy, current magazines. I've read where Mickey bars may be accepted, but they cannot eat them while working. They'd have to immediately take them away to put in a freezer somewhere to have later.

The reasoning for the candy and magazines is that they can be shared, you don't need separate "gifts" for each CM.

Any cash sort of tips (gift cards, phone card, actual cash) must be pooled and used for a kid's club staff party.

They are not "service" personnel....they are full-paid professionals. No tips needed.

Whilst you are correct they are professionals and are paid a wage, so no tips are required, if that cruiser desires to leave something to show their appreciation and gratitude in the form of a small gift, that the CM's are able to accept, then they are doing so of their own free will.

The question was not are tips required for nursery CM's.

OP, feel free to show your appreciation or gratitude towards them if you wish.

iTunes, Google Play Store (for games on their smart phones or music), Starbucks cards, sealed candy, current magazines, etc are all welcome.

When they have time on their hands off duty, playing a game on their phone or listening to music they can download when in port I'm sure would be appreciated.

It is not required, but is a nice gesture, if the Guest wishes to do so.

I think there are around 6-8 CM's in the nursery.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

They are not "service" personnel....they are full-paid professionals. No tips needed.

Also, I think that whilst they are "full-paid" for their professional services, and they have little to no living expenses whilst on the ship, they are not paid whilst on "vacation" so if they work a 4 month on 2 month off rotation, they are only paid 8 months of the year. And may have payments such as a car repayment or insurance, or an apartment back home to go back to.

I believe their pay is around $1000-1100 bi weekly now for staff from Western countries. (US CM's are required to pay taxes on wages, others depends on the length of service and country of citizenship)

And around 15-20% lower if they are from poorer countries. :(

(not sure if that is still true for those from poorer countries, but was when I was aboard)

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If you give any sort of a gift card (i-tunes, walmart, whatever), you will need to put the name of the staff member on the card. Otherwise, they are required to turn the card over to the manager and it will be used as a door prize at the staff party.

The issue is that many people will care for your child and it is not fair that the person who happens to be on duty the last time you bring in or pick up the child gets a tip while the others do not. The concept of using any gift cards or cash to benefit the entire department was a way of spreading out the benefits.

As to Mickey bars....CMs are not allowed to eat guest food from the ship under normal circumstances. Ordering a Mickey Bar and then giving it to a CM is a "no-no."

Yes, they can accept bags of candy or other items that can be shared. If there is someone special that you would like to reward, you might find out if there is something they like that you can obtain for them in port--a favorite shampoo, for instance. Another thing that we typically do is to give any remaining laundry products we brought on board to a CM (typically room steward, but...) as they do need to pay for supplied to launder their off duty clothes and personal items. They always seem most thankful for this small gesture and I don't have to take the stuff home!

Thank you all for your responses so far. I really appreciate hearing from such knowledgeable and experienced posters!

We'll definitely be getting a couple of bags of candy and some magazines to share. Maybe or maybe not on the iTunes cards, we'll have to think about that. We weren't planning on doing any laundry on board, so detergent is out, but I will ask if there's anything they need in port for any special CMs. If anyone has any additional ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Dizzly

Thank you all for your responses so far. I really appreciate hearing from such knowledgeable and experienced posters!

We'll definitely be getting a couple of bags of candy and some magazines to share. Maybe or maybe not on the iTunes cards, we'll have to think about that. We weren't planning on doing any laundry on board, so detergent is out, but I will ask if there's anything they need in port for any special CMs. If anyone has any additional ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Dizzly

How much were you thinking of spending on a gift if we are to suggest something other than candy or magazines, but not gift cards that are around $15?

Alcohol is not allowed to be gifted. Any liquor found during cabin inspections in crew cabins MUST have a DCL crew shop logo stamped on the label or it is a firing offense.

ex techie

How much were you thinking of spending on a gift if we are to suggest something other than candy or magazines, but not gift cards that are around $15?

Alcohol is not allowed to be gifted. Any liquor found during cabin inspections in crew cabins MUST have a DCL crew shop logo stamped on the label or it is a firing offense.

ex techie

I hadn't been thinking about alcohol, especially with their new policy.

If we'd been able to give cash (and they were allowed to accept it, which I understand they aren't) it'd probably be in the range of $10 or so each, given that you said there'd be 6-8 working with my son. Candy and magazines are easy to obtain and bring aboard and inexpensive. If there are other items that are easily distributable that won't get them in trouble or get taken away I'd be happy to bring them.

I just don't want to give them something that they wouldn't want or would get them in trouble or that they wouldn't be allowed to keep. Nothing huge and expensive, but a token of appreciation for their hard work.

Dizzly

I hadn't been thinking about alcohol, especially with their new policy.

If we'd been able to give cash (and they were allowed to accept it, which I understand they aren't) it'd probably be in the range of $10 or so each, given that you said there'd be 6-8 working with my son. Candy and magazines are easy to obtain and bring aboard and inexpensive. If there are other items that are easily distributable that won't get them in trouble or get taken away I'd be happy to bring them.

I just don't want to give them something that they wouldn't want or would get them in trouble or that they wouldn't be allowed to keep. Nothing huge and expensive, but a token of appreciation for their hard work.

Dizzly

Regarding liquor I was thinking more along the lines of beer, wine or champagne you may have not consumed at the end of your cruise.

I can't think of anything in the $10 range each that you could could gift every member of the nursery crew for.

I'm sure they still have DVD players aboard, so maybe if you have a box set of dvd's with a season of Friends, Family Guy or a show like that you could donate?

Otherwise, just a mention of an exceptional CM on the comment card will go a long way to the ships management recognizing them for excellent service.

Don't over think this and turn handing out a gift to each nursery CM into a chore, because that is not what it should be.

If you end up deciding to gift $20 worth of Walmart gift cards is what you wish, then so be it and it is very generous of you to do so and would be very much appreciated.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Otherwise, just a mention of an exceptional CM on the comment card will go a long way to the ships management recognizing them for excellent service.

ex techie

Ah, this! I has forgotten about comment cards. I'm a big fan of putting in a good word to management at stores when I receive exceptional service, and that should also hold on cruises. Thanks for the reminder!

Dizzly