NYC taxis

holidaydude

They didn't say and i didn't ask because i did not know you have to pay tolls...lol. do you always have to tip? Just wondering because here in Germany i don't and in the states we never used a taxi usually always have a rental car.

The NJ turnpike is a toll road. Toll will be $2.15 or $3.60 depending on the exit you get on at. Tipping of 18-20% is expected on the base rate, so figure $10 on $55.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone :) so almost time to start our vacation :) just quick question on the locals:) i checked the metro card peices and was wondering will it be worth to buy unlimited metro card for 7 days for 31$ even if we will use it only 3 days or will it be cheaper to buy always single tickets when using the subway in Manhattan exploring and moving from sightseeing to sightseeing. Planned is 1st day to explore only lower Manhattan ( wall street, 9/11 musem, one world center observatory, brooklyn beidge) 2nd day more time for Central park, time square maybe by bad weather children museum) any recommendations are welcome:)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Forums mobile app

Do you plan on taking 13 subway rides in 3 days? If so, the unlimited "may" make sense.

You get a discount by loading at least $5.50 on your metro card, and you can share metro cards between riders. If there are two of you, for instance, you can share a metro card, and likely be out $10 per day (I highly recommend traveling from whatever neighborhood your hotel is in to whatever neighborhood you're going to visit, and spend most of the day in that area.) I don't find the subway that useful in Midtown, personally, YMMV.

From your plans, if you're staying in Midtown, you'll make a round trip to Battery Park on day 1. You'll almost certainly walk everywhere on day 2, or grab a cab if you're dead tired. Depending on what you're doing day 3, you may make another round trip. That would not make the unlimited card cost effective.

Hello everyone :) so almost time to start our vacation :) just quick question on the locals:) i checked the metro card peices and was wondering will it be worth to buy unlimited metro card for 7 days for 31$ even if we will use it only 3 days or will it be cheaper to buy always single tickets when using the subway in Manhattan exploring and moving from sightseeing to sightseeing. Planned is 1st day to explore only lower Manhattan ( wall street, 9/11 musem, one world center observatory, brooklyn beidge) 2nd day more time for Central park, time square maybe by bad weather children museum) any recommendations are welcome:)

Probably not worth it. 911 museum, Wall St, and One world Center are together. Possibly a bus ride to the Brooklyn Bridge and another ride uptown - 3 rides that day. Times Square is walkable from Port Authority. Maybe bus to Central Park. No heavy pass usage that day either. You have to do at least 12 rides to get your money's worth.

There are some interesting options on http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm. Just having one metro card for all of you (up to 4 people) and adding value to get an 11% bonus is one option. Another is a pre valued Metrocard sold at Merchants.

Yes we are 2 adults and a 4 year old child. So i think the 1st day the places we want to visit are all in walking distance and the 2nd day as well.

We are staying in North Begen NJ but they have shuttle direct to Port Authority Manhattan so we will just need the metro catd while in Manhattan. 3rd day we just need to get from Port Authority to the cruise terminal but i think this will be easy by bus. Unfortunately the link 138east sent i can not open..maybe because i am overseas ( not sure ) will try again. Our 4 year old should ride for free, correct?

Yes we are 2 adults and a 4 year old child. So i think the 1st day the places we want to visit are all in walking distance and the 2nd day as well.

We are staying in North Begen NJ but they have shuttle direct to Port Authority Manhattan so we will just need the metro catd while in Manhattan. 3rd day we just need to get from Port Authority to the cruise terminal but i think this will be easy by bus. Unfortunately the link 138east sent i can not open..maybe because i am overseas ( not sure ) will try again. Our 4 year old should ride for free, correct?

Your 4 year old rides for free.

When you get back please take the time to post a short review on this forum about your experience with Super-8 and their shuttle to Manhattan. This could be very useful to budget travelers who can't afford Manhattan hotel prices but still want easy access to NY.

Your 4 year old rides for free.

When you get back please take the time to post a short review on this forum about your experience with Super-8 and their shuttle to Manhattan. This could be very useful to budget travelers who can't afford Manhattan hotel prices but still want easy access to NY.

Yes i will definitely write here once we are back from vacation. Hope the choice with Super 8 will be good. Thanks for all the tips people provided me here:)

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo, back from vacation and the busy looong working days already got me:) anyway i promised to write a review so it might help other people visiting NYC. Flight from Germany was easy, once we arrived at Newark airport got the Express bus to Port Authority and drom there the bus to the Super 8 in North Bergen. Hotel was clean and the people friendly. For the price just perfect. Location just great. Right outside it is Aldi to get drinks and snacks for the room, shopping mall right across the street, Sonic also for hungry people after a very long overseas flight and even Ihop is 5 min walking distance. Behind the hotel is also little playground our son loved it.

As far as moving around it was easy drive 15 min in the morning to Manhattan and bus is stopping right outside the front door of the hotel. By return they stop a block away but it is also easy 5 min walk. So definitely it was good choice and saved money.

Thank you all so much for all the tips you gave us:)

If we cruise again from NYC we will definitely stay in Super 8 again. On the last day we took a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal and it was 50 dollars ( not bad at all ).

Sooo, back from vacation and the busy looong working days already got me:) anyway i promised to write a review so it might help other people visiting NYC. Flight from Germany was easy, once we arrived at Newark airport got the Express bus to Port Authority and drom there the bus to the Super 8 in North Bergen. Hotel was clean and the people friendly. For the price just perfect. Location just great. Right outside it is Aldi to get drinks and snacks for the room, shopping mall right across the street, Sonic also for hungry people after a very long overseas flight and even Ihop is 5 min walking distance. Behind the hotel is also little playground our son loved it.

As far as moving around it was easy drive 15 min in the morning to Manhattan and bus is stopping right outside the front door of the hotel. By return they stop a block away but it is also easy 5 min walk. So definitely it was good choice and saved money.

Thank you all so much for all the tips you gave us:)

If we cruise again from NYC we will definitely stay in Super 8 again. On the last day we took a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal and it was 50 dollars ( not bad at all ).

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked out so well for you.