Review of Zuiderdam on Partial Panama Canal Dec 11-Dec 21

vicd1969

I'm hoping to bump this so I can get some advice from either the OP or the others who have taken this cruise. My mom and I are going in March on the 11 night trip. I am trying to plan excursions but none of the ship's own excursions get great reviews.

Can anyone recommend any of the ship's excursions or private excursion that would be good for 2 people? We obviously don't have a group. In Costa Rica, I would like to try ziplining but my mother can't due to heart condition. Similarly, she can't or won't do anything like kayaking or white water rafting. Is there an excursion where she has something to do while I do a couple of ziplines? I don't need anything dramatic.

Also, I understand that if you don't do a ship excursion in Gatun Lake, you don't see Panama at all?

They're also expensive so I'm trying to make sure I get my money's worth.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

Since my cruise didn't stop at Curacao and Cartagena, I can't give advice on excursions there. For Costa Rica, my parents went with us (DS and BIL) and paid less than us since they didn't do the zip line. They waited in the cafe (which has a pretty nice view) while we zipped. We used a non-ship private tour that shows up prominently when you use tripadvisor. Not sure if you can do a private tour for 2 but may want to email them to see if there are any tours you and your mom can join.

In Aruba, you can take a private taxi to a beach if you want to snorkel, then return to the shopping area near the ship's dock. There is a free trolley in the shopping district if your mom doesn't want to walk a lot. I did feel like the ship's time in Aruba wasn't that excursion-friendly, since we arrive at 1 PM and so have only like 4 hours of usable daylight.

For Gatun, yes, you have to take the ship excursions but we were fine hanging out on the ship. You do get a close encounter of the canal operations without a crowd when the ship exits, as long as you are willing to walk back and forth on the promenade deck and deck 4 bow area.

For two people, the cost of the ship's Panama excursions may be worth it, but I understand there is quite a bit of down time getting to or back from the sights.