Star Princess Transatlantic-Current crossing

rjg41

I believe the itinerary for Star Princess's current crossing shows she is supposed to stop in Greenland. However, the description on the Star Princess bridge cam since she left Iceland says she is on her way from Iceland to St. John's showing no stop in Greenland. Anyone know why she is apparently skipping Greenland?

This is probably because the itinerary was not well planned. There was just one day at sea between Reykjavik and Qaqortoq and this is not possible. The ship can not cover this distance in this short time. This is a shame since the weather in and around Qaqortoq was excellent at the time of the scheduled stop.

The captain must have opt. for a slow cruise from Reykjavik to St. John's and skipped Greenland. The ship could have done the transit of the Prins Christian Sund in Greenland and still had plenty of time to get to St. John's and it is a mistery why this was not chosen since the transit is one of the most beautiful sailings there is.

Nanoq

early this morning. He said due to rough sea conditions, they were not able to tender into Greenland. Instead, they headed straight to St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. I'm sure this is a big disappointment for everyone on Star Princess. Qaqortoq was one of the major reasons that my parents chose this cruise.

early this morning. He said due to rough sea conditions, they were not able to tender into Greenland. Instead, they headed straight to St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. I'm sure this is a big disappointment for everyone on Star Princess. Qaqortoq was one of the major reasons that my parents chose this cruise.

Due to weather/sea conditions last year we were not able to cruise Prins Christian Sund - but we did get in to Qaqortoq. It was a beautiful day of sunshine and clear blue skies. We loved this little picturesque city and have wondeful memories of our stop there. The children were allowed out of school to "practice their English" and they were as enamoured of us as we were of them. This has to be THE BEST transatlantic itinerary and we hope to repeat it one day.

Julie

Due to weather/sea conditions last year we were not able to cruise Prins Christian Sund - but we did get in to Qaqortoq. It was a beautiful day of sunshine and clear blue skies. We loved this little picturesque city and have wondeful memories of our stop there. The children were allowed out of school to "practice their English" and they were as enamoured of us as we were of them. This has to be THE BEST transatlantic itinerary and we hope to repeat it one day.

Julie

Rough seas often preclude the stop at Greenalnd.

Way back in Sept 98, on Royal Princess, Capt. Andy Proctor was successful in landing at Greenland, and proudly announced that the previous three attempts were not successful.

Many of the hurricanes that plague Florida and the Easter seaboard spin themselves out in the waters between Greenland and Newfoundland.

The reason for missing Greenland is the fact that we had 20 foot seas for 3-4 days. We were late into Iceland and again delayed leaving due to 50+ mph winds preventing us leaving Reykejavik. We finally set sail around 2 am and endured increasingly heavy seas. The Commador made the decision to head south toward smoother seas. Smart decision. We had nice, calm, and beautiful weather (with a lot of fog, but calm seas) to NYC. For several days it was a combo of "The Perfect Storm" and "The Posedion Adventure". I suspect that this will be the last time the Star Princess attempts this passage.

Archived