Beating A Dead Horse (or: "Resort Casual Clothes Question")

Sablerose

I bought my (one-piece) swimsuit at Target. Nothing fancy.

I bought my dockers and some polo shirts at the BX.

I also bought my fancy new over-the-shoulder boulder-holder at the BX.

And then I ordered my formalwear out of catalogues.

I know, I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo boring!

I am now the proud owner of ten perfectly red-painted toenails. They suggested I go back right before the cruise and get a french pedicure with rhinestones. That would look great with the black dress!

Come on Rose! Go to Google Images and find a picture of yourself! It was pure coincidence that I was able to google "bikini" and find my picture.

What did you wear for a top? I'm like you and would opt for capri's but most of my tops are cotton like (not collared) t-shirt "like" but might have a v-neck. Would that be ok or do you HAVE to wear some sort of blouse or polo shirt?

• 1 month later...

Alright Big Duck-Don, I know I see you regularly, so even though this thread apparently died a month ago, I'm posting here. Is it possible to be too dressed up for a non-formal night? Rose is right - it's easy for you guys - dockers and polo's! But it's not so easy for us women. This is our 7th cruise, but first on Carnival. I usually wear a cocktail dress every evening or a dressy panst suit. Am I over dressing? I was just looking for info on if there is that one super casual island night and if it is the first night of the cruise so I could pack my carry-on appropriately. Now I'm thinking I may have to rethink my wardrobe. Capri's and shorts (off another thread) in the dining room at dinner???

I'm not a snob, so don't flame me. Just want to fit in. Don't want to be under dressed or over dressed!

Any help would be appreciated!

Pat, it's not possible to be too overdressed!!! I have worn cocktail dresses on non formal nights. I prefer to overdress rather than underdress... no worries!! You will find that many others do the same!! Have a great time!!

Alright Big Duck-Don, I know I see you regularly, so even though this thread apparently died a month ago, I'm posting here. Is it possible to be too dressed up for a non-formal night? Rose is right - it's easy for you guys - dockers and polo's! But it's not so easy for us women. This is our 7th cruise, but first on Carnival. I usually wear a cocktail dress every evening or a dressy panst suit. Am I over dressing? I was just looking for info on if there is that one super casual island night and if it is the first night of the cruise so I could pack my carry-on appropriately. Now I'm thinking I may have to rethink my wardrobe. Capri's and shorts (off another thread) in the dining room at dinner???

I'm not a snob, so don't flame me. Just want to fit in. Don't want to be under dressed or over dressed!

Any help would be appreciated!

I only ever promote the company line:

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Personaly I wouldn't be caught dead in capris. :D

Thanks GoinCruisin, Big Duck and Corina - whew. Nothing worse than feeling out of place! We have a lot of very first time cruisers coming with us - yes we are leading more lambs down the path to addiction! I wold hate to have stearred them wrong when I said dinner is resort casual, wear a dress or nice pants suit!

If you truly want to fit in you won't be wearing cocktail dresses to non formal nights. But if wearing cocktail dresses is more comfortable for you, then go ahead. No one will mind. But they will notice, at least the women, because it's fun to see what other people are wearing. I made my husband sit in one of the lounges on formal night and watch people walk by and admire all the lovely dresses and pants suits.

I, for one, find it very embarassing to be overdressed. When I was going to college, being overdressed for dances, etc., was a big faux pas and very "high school" or really not in the know, so I became very conscious of overdressing. So it's probably an age thing. And no one could call a cocktail dress "casual" whether resort casual, business casual, or any other casual. And some of the capris and tops in tropical colors and fabrics are quite nice. But summery type dresses might be a good compromise.

Again, there is no such thing as being overdressed in a FORMAL dining room, regardless of the night. The servers are wearing tuxes, you are served on white linen tablecloths with full formal place settings... you can't be overdressed... DON'T WORRY!!! There was a time, when people that cruised dressed formally every night! Just because it's "Carnival" doesn't mean you have to dress down on non formal nights... there will be plenty of people dressed very nicely on ALL nights... and it is very appropriate... There are times and places where being overdressed is not appropriate, the FORMAL dining room on a cruise ship, is not one of those places. Don't worry!! Wear what you want and have a great time!!!

Also, anyone that has traveled to some of the nicer resorts here and overseas, will notice MANY women wearing cocktail dresses, elegant resort wear, etc. Not all cocktail dresses are created equally, and they are perfectly accepted at many of the finer resorts... at many, you would be out of place in a casual sundress or capri pants. Not all countries are as "casual" as we are here...

Archived