Cruising with teens

lisajm

Booked a family cruise for this summer with my dh and his 2 girls. Any suggestions for cruising with 14 & 15 year old gals? This will be their first cruise, dh's second cruise, and my 7th.

I want to make this an awesome trip for them.

I booked a cabana @ HalfMoon Cay, going to Freeport and Nassau, as well.

Looking for antecdotes about what your teens enjoy about cruising.

As I just put on another thread, what are the girls interested in? Are they active, do they want to snorkel, go on water slides, etc or would they prefer to laze on the beach or go shopping? A little more info will help others to provide you with better responses.

My only other comment is to talk with them BEFORE getting on the ship so expectations are set on what is ok and what is not. There are many threads on here with thoughts on contracts to write up before sailing to ensure everyone knows the rules (and the consequences of breaking them) before sailing. We used a verbal version with our kids that definitely came in handy for us. Some of the basics, never go into anyone else's cabin, never let your soda/drinks of any kind out of your sight, stick together, curfew times, how much they can spend, etc.

I have a simple rule - don't do anything you wouldn't do with me standing there. If you do, you will be grounded to your room for the day. That and "don't go in anyone else's room" are about the only rules my boys need.

The oldest is 17 and has been cruising since he was 8. He loves going to teen clubs (they will be in different groups) but usually only use those as a meeting place. Then he hangs out...just like they do at home. And they stay out late.

He loves cruising because he gets plenty of time to be with kids his own age, but Mom is also happy because he eats dinner and goes ashore with us.

In Nassau, if they are shoppers, the straw market is packed chaos but delightful. We also used People to People for a different view of the island. This really is the "worst" port of call, and if you can fund it, Atlantis would be y recommendation.,

Freeport is really a beach day - you need to take a cab. A smaller more manageable market here.

I agree that Nassau is my least favorite port. And we will do Atlantis or an organized excursion.

One girl is shy, the other is a social butterfly. I'm hoping they will be able to be in same group for O2. (The younger girl is the shy one) So hoping she can move up to )2 with her sister.

These girls live with their mother in the Midwest in a very small town. Dh and I live in Florida and they stay with us during the summer.

They don't know about the cruise, yet. Going to be a BIG surprise

for them. I usually book for itinerary but this time other factors came into the mix. 1. Port Canaveral is within driving distance 2. Valor is a bigger ship than Paradise (Tampa is home port) 3. Price of cruise.