Question for folks that sailed POA in Dec 2105 or Jan 2016?

JustThinking23

Hi, my wife recently read online (not on this website) a review of the New Years Eve cruise on Pride of America. This review mentioned that there was a specific smell that ruined the vacation for him and the other 5 cabins they were sailing with. He claimed that it was really bad on Deck 9, Starboard, but that he smelled it in restaurants and other public areas too.

I have looked closely at the forums here, and have not seen any other mention of it. The reviewer claims that this has been an ongoing problem on the POA for a while, and that it will not be fixed until after drydock. (We sail prior to drydock.)

Has anyone else had a smelly problem recently? I have purposely not linked to the review or mentioned the smell to see if your experience matches his.

I would greatly appreciate it if you mention one way or another.

Thanks!

Virtually every ship has these "sewer" smells from time to time, at various places around the ship. It generally comes from the gray water system (as opposed to black water from toilets), which is drains from the sinks and showers. These drains have traps in them, like your sink does at home. But, if the drain does not see much water for a time, the A/C will dry out the water in the trap and the smell will back up. Generally, the crew will notice it, and look for and fill the trap. Many people complain about this smell in the cabins, and it is caused by the floor drain in the bathroom (outside the shower) drying out. Putting a glass of water down this drain daily will keep the stench away.