Getting to the Baths?

tjljsc

So, I'm trying to figure out the easiest and most economical way for a party of 4 to get to the Baths in April. We're in port from 7am to 3pm, so we'd want to be back in town by 1:30-ish. A few questions...

1. Could we reasonably get on the 7:45am ferry?

2. Is it possible the ferry could be sold out for the return trip? We'd have to take the 12-something return and the next ferry gets us back after the ship has departed... scary thought.

3. Any recommendations for a private or semi-private catamaran tour to the Baths instead?

4. Can we drive it? Rent a jeep and go on our own?

This is our first trip to Tortola, so I'm just not sure of the best option and $80pp seems a bit steep through NCL...

Thanks!

Take the earliest ferry you can, if no delays disembarking the 7:45 ferry should be very doable. The 12:40 return will get you back to port around 1:10PM (30 minute ferry each way). The ferries are very reliable and they will add a ferry if need be. Having said that, I would recommend getting to the ferry by 12:15 to get in line. That would give you about 3 hrs at the Baths.

You’re probably not in port long enough to take an independent cat (patouche dot com), and you can’t drive because the Baths are on Virgin Gorda and not Tortola.

Take the earliest ferry you can, if no delays disembarking the 7:45 ferry should be very doable. The 12:40 return will get you back to port around 1:10PM (30 minute ferry each way). The ferries are very reliable and they will add a ferry if need be. Having said that, I would recommend getting to the ferry by 12:15 to get in line. That would give you about 3 hrs at the Baths.

You’re probably not in port long enough to take an independent cat (patouche dot com), and you can’t drive because the Baths are on Virgin Gorda and not Tortola.

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I did get a quote from Patouche, but it's a little more $ than we wanted to spend (although a fabulous deal for what's included). Is there anywhere to grab a bite to sample some local flavors within walking distance of the Baths? Any shopping or is it pretty much a hike, beach and snorkel destination only?

Also, any recommendations for things to do within walking distance of the port?

There is a restaurant at the Top of the Baths and a shallow wading pool. You can also have the taxi drop you in Spanishtown which is a short walk from the ferry and eat at the Baths & Turtle and do some shopping right there. Our favorite spot is the Mineshaft Cafe which offers amazing panoramic views and their signature drink the Cave In is fun to watch being made and fun to drink - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!".

Back on Tortola there are shops near the dock, one in particular we like is Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice and rub shop, check their website. Pusser's Pub is a fun English-style pub there too. They have a nice line of clothes in their shop in the back and upstairs as well.

Enjoy your day!

...Back on Tortola there are shops near the dock, one in particular we like is Sunny Caribbee, a great little spice and rub shop, check their website. Pusser's Pub is a fun English-style pub there too. They have a nice line of clothes in their shop in the back and upstairs as well.

Enjoy your day!

Two of my favorite stops in Tortola. The spice rub at Sunny Caribbee are amazing. Can't wait to load up on them.

I am also stopping for the first time in Tortola with my daughter and wondering how best to spend our limited time. Our ship, The Gem, is only in port from 7am to 1pm. I too have heard many good things about the Baths.

So that I am clear, we would take a taxi to the ferry, walk on the ferry, walk off and short walk to the Baths? Is that correct?

How much should this cost?

Do we book a return taxi?

Also, does the ship dock within walking distance of town? Alternatively, would a walking tour of the town be a good way to spend our first visit? We enjoy history, architecture, local foods, etc. Is there enough to see?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for hijacking original question.

I am also stopping for the first time in Tortola with my daughter and wondering how best to spend our limited time. Our ship, The Gem, is only in port from 7am to 1pm. I too have heard many good things about the Baths.

So that I am clear, we would take a taxi to the ferry, walk on the ferry, walk off and short walk to the Baths? Is that correct?

Also, does the ship dock within walking distance of town? Alternatively, would a walking tour of the town be a good way to spend our first visit? We enjoy history, architecture, local foods, etc. Is there enough to see?

HI Al,

Although the Baths are a unique formation and highly recommended I wouldn't go there on such a shore port day. But if you want to go you would walk to the ferry (just ask for directions at the dock), 30 min ferry to Virgin Gorda, 10 minute taxi to the Top of the Baths and you walk down a natural path to the shore and boulders. With a 7:45AM departure and an 11:30AM return you'd have about 3 hours free. Cost is $30 roundtrip ferry (May be less for your daughter depending on age), and $10pp roundtrip taxi on VG.

Tortola is a beautiful island and has a lot to offer, either on an island tour or some other excursion.

Close to the dock there are small shops, one in particular that we like is Sunny Caribbee, a small spice and rub shop. You can walk into town but it is primarily a finalcial district and not much to see or do there. I'd recommend one of the several island tours offered by drivers at the pier, you should be able to find one that focuses on the history and ruins if that appeals to you. The coordinators at the dock can help guide you.

Where can I find a ferry schedule and how much should it cost? We will be in Tortola on Easter Sunday and are wanting to go to the Baths.

Just google Speedy's and Smith's sites for ferry schedules and rates, the round trip fare is $30pp. Check to see if the Easter Sunday fares are running normally. See other threads here for ideas on going...

HI Al,

Although the Baths are a unique formation and highly recommended I wouldn't go there on such a shore port day. But if you want to go you would walk to the ferry (just ask for directions at the dock), 30 min ferry to Virgin Gorda, 10 minute taxi to the Top of the Baths and you walk down a natural path to the shore and boulders. With a 7:45AM departure and an 11:30AM return you'd have about 3 hours free. Cost is $30 roundtrip ferry (May be less for your daughter depending on age), and $10pp roundtrip taxi on VG.

Tortola is a beautiful island and has a lot to offer, either on an island tour or some other excursion.

Close to the dock there are small shops, one in particular that we like is Sunny Caribbee, a small spice and rub shop. You can walk into town but it is primarily a finalcial district and not much to see or do there. I'd recommend one of the several island tours offered by drivers at the pier, you should be able to find one that focuses on the history and ruins if that appeals to you. The coordinators at the dock can help guide you.

That is so very helpful. We will use your information to plan our day.

The Baths are an option and I don't want to deter you from that experience if interested. It's just that it will probably be very crowded with fellow cruisers and not as enjoyable. But it is a nice day nonetheless!

If you decide to stay on Tortola and take an island tour the views from high up are beautiful and the driver will stop for photo ops. If you happened to be in port on a Sunday the Bananakeet has a great brunch and has spectacular views of the north shore and the islands. But a tour and some time shopping at the port is a nice day for the time you have available. If you have time Pusser's Pub near the port has a nice line of clothes and their shop is in the rear of the restaurant (upstairs for your daughter!).

Have a great day whatever day you choose:)

So, I'm trying to figure out the easiest and most economical way for a party of 4 to get to the Baths in April. We're in port from 7am to 3pm, so we'd want to be back in town by 1:30-ish. A few questions...

1. Could we reasonably get on the 7:45am ferry?

2. Is it possible the ferry could be sold out for the return trip? We'd have to take the 12-something return and the next ferry gets us back after the ship has departed... scary thought.

3. Any recommendations for a private or semi-private catamaran tour to the Baths instead?

4. Can we drive it? Rent a jeep and go on our own?

This is our first trip to Tortola, so I'm just not sure of the best option and $80pp seems a bit steep through NCL...

Thanks!

1) Yes, very easy to get the 7:45am ferry. It's about a 10 min walk off the ship's pier to Speedy's ferry.

2) I don't think it would be sold out for the 12:40pm return but you might be able to pre-book the return time. Ask when you are buying your tickets.

3) No recommendations for a catamaran tour. Everything I read said they anchor off the beaches and you have to swim to the beach/Baths. Didn't seem very close to me.

4) Can't drive because it's a different island.

I was hesitant to do this but it was VERY EASY. YOu literally walk off the ship's pier and ask anyone where Speedy's is. It includes the taxi ride to the Baths. Once at the Baths, you pay the admission fee ($3pp) and walk down. There were lockers there to rent for $2.50 (well worth it because carrying a bag or backpack thru the Baths would be difficult).

REad the other threads here about the Baths. Some great information and very easy to do! We left on the 12:40pm ferry back because the water was very rough and we didn't want to hang out on the beach. There's lots of rocks, so if you get slammed into a rock, that would hurt.

I highly recommend going through the BAths, it was really cool!

debbie

I would not recommend you going to the Baths with such a short time there. The Baths can get very busy and you couldn't take the 12:40pm ferry back, you won't make it in time.

There didn't seem to be too much to do right at the ship dock area. WE did see Pusser's and a couple other shops. You might want to book a short tour.

debbbie

1) Yes, very easy to get the 7:45am ferry. It's about a 10 min walk off the ship's pier to Speedy's ferry.

2) I don't think it would be sold out for the 12:40pm return but you might be able to pre-book the return time. Ask when you are buying your tickets.

3) No recommendations for a catamaran tour. Everything I read said they anchor off the beaches and you have to swim to the beach/Baths. Didn't seem very close to me.

4) Can't drive because it's a different island.

I was hesitant to do this but it was VERY EASY. YOu literally walk off the ship's pier and ask anyone where Speedy's is. It includes the taxi ride to the Baths. Once at the Baths, you pay the admission fee ($3pp) and walk down. There were lockers there to rent for $2.50 (well worth it because carrying a bag or backpack thru the Baths would be difficult).

REad the other threads here about the Baths. Some great information and very easy to do! We left on the 12:40pm ferry back because the water was very rough and we didn't want to hang out on the beach. There's lots of rocks, so if you get slammed into a rock, that would hurt.

I highly recommend going through the BAths, it was really cool!

debbie

Just to clarify, the return ferries can fill up when everyone and their mother wants the same ferry. So in those situations when ferry options are limited it is advisable to return to the ferry and get in line a little early. You can have a bite at the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown and see the ferry and walk from there. Having said that, they are very reliable and will add another ferry when needed to get everyone back.

The lockers are located at the Poorman's Bar on the beach at the bottom of the path so you would have to walk back through the boulders to where you started to get your stuff so not very convenient. We like taking a light, string backpack to carry a towel, water, and camera so our hands are free and we can take the other path back up - just a thought.

And Speedy's does offer packages that include the taxi to and from the Top of the Baths, and another that includes lunch and a drink at the Baths & Turtle. We would just buy the ferry pass ($30 round trip) and pay for our taxi on our own just to have a little more flexibility in case we want to stop somewhere else.

I would not recommend you going to the Baths with such a short time there. The Baths can get very busy and you couldn't take the 12:40pm ferry back, you won't make it in time.

There didn't seem to be too much to do right at the ship dock area. WE did see Pusser's and a couple other shops. You might want to book a short tour.

debbbie

The Baths are busy when any ship is in port at Road Town or in Virgin Gorda. On some days you can work around the biggest crowds, on short port days you don't have many options. But there are often other return ferry options that still give you some time on VG (3 hrs in this case). So if someone has already visited Tortola, or is really interested in experiencing the Baths, that is definitely an option. In the port area Sunny Caribbee and Pusser's as you mentioned are a couple of great spots to shop. There are botanical gardens and churches to visit as well as the island tour option.

Beautiful island, Tortola! :)