Just returned from NCL gem Jan 2 cruise

Raiderzfan422

New member here and this was my first cruise. We live in upstate Ny and did not want to fly so the NCL gem seemed perfect. Getting on the ship wasn't to bad of a wait. Once on the ship forget about getting any food. We could not find a seat anywhere in the "cafeteria" ( the same food quality as a high school cafeteria). Finally after the safety meeting we had to go to we found a seat at osheenas pub on the ship. Just when I thought the garden cafes food was bad we tried osheenas food and it was equally terrible. On top of the terrible food the service was just as bad. In the 7 or 8 times we ate there not 1 time was our order correct. Also the grille at the Tahitian bar was not open for the entire cruise. Food on the ship gets a 1 outta 5 stars only because the orchid gardens food was decent. We brought our 2 yr old daughter with us on the cruise and of course why would the nice slide going to the pool work? So now on of the main things for her to enjoy is no longer working. Now back to the food. On day 6 me and my brother in law both got sick from the undercooked chicken grilled by the pool. We both threw up during the night and felt better by morning. I can say I did not gain any weight on this cruise because the food was out of my system within a few mins after every meal. After thr food sickness I could not eat anymore meat on this ship the last 4 days. The thought of it made me sick and I love eating grilled food. So I managed eating pasta and pizza the remainder of cruise. I can only hope not all cruises are like this. I will never return on a NCL ship after this cruise. We may have to drive to Baltimore and try a Royal carribean next time. I give this cruise a .5 outta 5 stars. The reason for the half star is because the ultimate beverage package was a great bargin. Also our room cleaning guy was great as well and very friendly. Ship was very clean also.

If you would have done your research before the cruise you would have known that the main dining room was open after embarkation. You would have also known about the issues with the slide. Sounds like cruising might not be for you.

Btw, I'll do the research for you and let you know you can also cruise from Bayonne NJ with Royal. No need to go all the way to Baltimore.

We normally do 90% of our cruises from Bayonne.

Our last cruise (Dec.2015) was from Baltimore .It took us 4 1/2 hours with 2 stops going and 3 1/2 hours with one stop returning .

We are doing another cruise from Baltimore this year because they sail to ports not available from NJ.

A lot of mixed reactions. We sail on the GEM in nine days and are looking forward to it. Almost every cruise we go on -- no matter the line -- you see post from people who think this or that was awful and then we get on and find almost none of those issues.

I never expect the food to be 5-star quality. After all, the ship is serving thousands of passengers, not one or two. I do expect quality service with a smile. My feeling is if you treat the crew well, they will treat you well. You might run into a bad apple here and there, but it has never affected by cruise experience.

It is frustrating to hear that the slide situation hasn't been resolved. Ship went into drydock in November and it is now Jan. 13. Won't make or break my cruise and our 12 yo will certainly enjoy herself with or without the slide.

Sure glad I purchased the spa pass. Sounds like it will come in handy on sea days, especially the first and last days at sea when the weather can be an issue.

I was on the gem this past summer and it was great; we are going again in June.

Your 2 year old would not have been allowed on the slide. When we were on the Gem they only had it open for use when there was a staff member available to stand at the front of the line with a measuring stick.Anyone under the line on the stick was not allowed on. Not even with an adult.

As far as the food, i thought it was fine. Not 5 star or anything, but good in the MDR. I did not eat at the buffet other than breakfast. I'm not sure what one expects at a buffet on a cruise ship, but your sights were set too high. Unless you go on a premium line, your experience won't be much better. We have done Carnival, RCL and NCL. NCL, imo is the best of the 3.

Welcome home. When you first boarded you should have had lunch in the MDR. Plenty of seats, good menu, relaxing. Quite civilized. Sounds like you have already made up your mind that you are done with NCL. Good luck with Royal. I have a funny feeling you will find their Windjammer Buffet just as crowded and food on par with NCL. Anyway happy trails.

The problem with this is the crew never promote the MDR. They always point you to the buffet unless you ask specifically where the MDR is.

OP, if you go back to NCL, I would say try the bigger ship such as the Breakaway or the new RCI ship sailing out of NJ.