Dreamliner

I have been trying to compare the Economy and Premium on the Dreamliner, to see if it is worth upgrading but seem to get confusing and unclear reports. Can anyone explain what the differences are e.g. airport and flight and whether it is worth the extra......actually I can't seem to find an upgrade price either?

Think if you are just comparing costs its not worth it. For us we like extra luggage, for Mrs PC, and we always book the No1 lounge at BHX we like the extra room, but it's not a lot but I feel the main advantage is that you can sit together in just two seats used to be OK on a 767 when they had 2.4.2 buton the 787 its 3.3.3 not good if only two of you on a 9 hour flight😕 you do get other bits and pieces and (as Howard knows) you get to turn left on the plane. Don't think we would do it any other way now but this will be our first on the 787.😀

Small advantages are: bigger seats,better ife, more regular free drink service, better food with metal cuterly not towels and drinks before takeoff. Higher luggage allowance, fast track through security, free airport lounge and priority boarding. Also priority check in. It's a personal choice if you think this is worth the cost. The easiest way to find the cost is to do a dummy booking online and the cost will come up as an option

I have been trying to compare the Economy and Premium on the Dreamliner, to see if it is worth upgrading but seem to get confusing and unclear reports. Can anyone explain what the differences are e.g. airport and flight and whether it is worth the extra......actually I can't seem to find an upgrade price either?

Hi j9jazz as Tina.12 has said yes it is a personal choice, i my self and wife are more than happy to go into cabin class we have booked seat,s over wing out ward bound and will try a pair of seat,s at the rear row 39 coming home price £60 for both ways, on e good thing you can watch the wing,s flapping in the turbulance :eek: but joking a side super aircraft with load,s of leg room, and with the money you save you can have afew more Mojitoe,s enjoy your cruise . One for pension Cruiser have you filled in your Embarkation form as a repeat cruiser with thomson thank,s Howard

Thanks Guys,

I called Thomson and they say the extra cost of the flights is £179 each, which seems a bit steep to me, especially since I could fly out to the S of F to my family and back 4 times for that. So, I think it will be steerage for us! They did suggest we ask at the check in if we can upgrade since empty seats sell at a reduced rate then.

Hi Howard as Sheila says that form no longer working:confused: but on another point we have now received our e-tickets that's after Thomson sent us an email stating that they no longer issue them:rolleyes: Congrats on your team by the way;)

Hi P.C thank,s for that, yes the boy,s have got there Tail,s up and our new boy Charlie Austin yes looking good finger,s crossed for Villa, as the Grand kid,s use to say 20 more sleep,s grandad that,s your cruise by the way, :)

Slightly more than that we go on the 21st.

Also looking at the Caribbean (again) for next year on the Discovery when the premium upgrade is £266:eek: so if we book I would book to go with economy and upgrade at a latter date as I have noted over the years that the upgrade always drops:rolleyes: unless you can do a deal, as we did this year:)

Slightly more than that we go on the 21st.

Also looking at the Caribbean (again) for next year on the Discovery when the premium upgrade is £266:eek: so if we book I would book to go with economy and upgrade at a latter date as I have noted over the years that the upgrade always drops:rolleyes: unless you can do a deal, as we did this year:)

Hi P.C yes as you know i have already booked for next year same cruise different hotel flying out on the 12th march reason for booking early have got stern balcony 6122 as there only a few and it,s our GOLD :eek:

I had heard that they are good ones. Are they definitely balconies? doesn't show in the brochure and they look a 'darker shade' of blue is that deluxe? That's one of the dates we are looking at as we have only done Tropical delights once, but we like to go for Mrs PCs b day which is in Feb so think we will wait until after this one before booking (we have already booked for our Sep cruise) and just hope they have some good ones left:confused:

Hi P.C yes as you know i have already booked for next year same cruise different hotel flying out on the 12th march reason for booking early have got stern balcony 6122 as there only a few and it,s our GOLD :eek:

Hi P.C there is another cruise line operating with Virgin working from Barbados, doing Eastern Caribbean plus island san juan and st thomas ----- valor and ------ Facination have done this one both ship,s very good

We booked normal seats on Dreamliner this January and chose two in the middle 3 at the front of a block behind the toilets and had loads of leg room. A plus was nobody had taken the other aisle seat, so we had the 2 aisle seats and used the empty middle seat to put things, and it was a bonus having the extra tray when managing the meals. The downside was people walked in front of us from one side to the other at times, but would book them again.

Can you do a quick round up of the beaches you managed to get to, you may recall we were both looking to do them this time:)

Best laid plans and all that, we did a mix of things in the end.

Tobago. We did ship tour Glass Bottom Buccoo Reef as we wanted to do this last time but it was cancelled. Coach to Pidgeon Point and joined the boats. Bit of a mishap as I went on to drop my gear then go back to help Ray, and they set off leaving Ray on shore to get another boat. They took me back to beach and we boarded a different boat. It was great as there were fish to be seen by the reef and I got my snorkel fix too. Went to a different bay where the water was waist deep and I was diving down and picking pieces of dead broken coral up and taking it for Ray to see. Loved this trip and it was interesting for Ray who doesn't swim.

Grenada. Caught the water taxi to Grand Anse beach. $8 each return. 2 beds and brolly for $20. Plenty of folk walking up and down in front of the beds selling drinks. I had a great time swimming there.

Bequia. Tender port, and it was a bit of a walk along boardwalks to the beach. Didn't take swimming gear here - what a mistake. Lovely beach area and bar for Ray to sit. Got beers in and found out Princess Margaret beach was further along, so I left Ray with some beer and had a walk and it was a lot further, and he would never have done the climb up and down the steps. I found it fun, but we could have,m and should have taken a water taxi over there. When I got back I decided I simply had to get in the water in front of the bar, so went in my bikini top and cut offs and loved it. A bit soggy walking back but loved this island and the beach we used. We had another beer break in Fig Tree bar which had wifi that worked on the way back to the tender.

Dominica. We were docked at what appeared to be a container port, and it was ever such a long walk for Ray to get to the port area taking him an hour with stops to sit on the wall along the way. Town area looked very poor and we stopped at the first bar we came across to give Ray a rest, Cocorico and it had good wifi. Got a message that the bar to visit was Ruins so we went looking for that, and wow, what a wonderful place that was. Had a couple of beers and a taxi back.

St Lucia. We had booked the beach tour, but as we booked late we found it was fully booked. so after yesterday's walk we decided to stay local round Castries and watched a boat unload it's catch of fish for the market with egrets keeping an eye on things, and bought some local beers from the supermarket.Got a lovely 6.6% stout from Carib which we haven't seen in the bars. Had a drink in Chef Robbies in the terminal building.

Barbados. We had been looking forward to this beach day. Ray decided he fancied Boatyard even though he doesn't swim, so we got a taxi there for $10 and paid our $15 each to get in and tried the 2 cocktails on offer. Loved the shark bite, and stuck with that one for the rest of the time we were there. I really enjoyed the beach and swimming, and Ray was fine in the bar. Music was ok for us, but it was early and we were buying the cocktails 2 for the price of 1. We left as the youngsters seemed to take over the place with drink being poured direct to the open mouths and happy hour had finished, but enjoyed our time there.

Antigua was the only other beach trip I got to go to. We booked the Sun and Rum tour, and it was a bit wet with everyone standing by the ship getting soaked in a storm before walking to the taxis to get to the beach. Runaway beach had a bar and the rain stopped. The sun never really made it, but it stayed dry and the beach and sea were fantastic. They got Ray a seat at a table in the bar, and the premixed rum punches flowed. It was a better tour and beach than the one we did 3 years ago, a bit run down, but adequate.

I never quite have the confidence to book taxis yet, but live in hope that when we go back with Discovery in October we will be a little more adventurous. Enjoyed ourselves and that is what counts.

Thanks very much for the report some useful information for us to digest.

Just a couple of points we have been to a beach in Bequia which is found by turning right off the tender along a narrow walkway with the sea on your right is that the one you found? when we went it did not have a bar:confused: and only a low wall for Mrs PC. to get to the other beach you have to walk over the headland or take a very small boat:eek:.

Now the Ruins bar in Dominica sounds good:p can you point us in the right direction, we have in the past docked at Portsmouth but that's the other side of the island but when docking at Roseau we are on the end of the 'jetty':confused:so I know that area well and the town but to be honest we had planned to stay on board at that port but if we can find a nice bar that would be great.:)

Thanks again

We turned right from the tender in Bequia and walked past the little shop buildings then along the walkway to the beach. The bar was just behind the beach so you probably have the right place and maybe the bar is new. There is a jetty there, and water taxi should drop you. Beach is brilliant.

Ruins bar is straight up the road from the main cruise port in Roseau. If you have one of the maps you will see King George V street going up from the Cruise Dock. The bar is not far up there on the corner of Hanover Street. There is a spice shop inside there too. Interesting place. I have just looked on google map of Roseau, and if you enlarge it, the bar is marked on the map.

Edited by gillhalfpint