Kids Sail&Sign

goober9

Hi. I've been cruising a long time, but my kids have never been old enough to use their own Sail&Sign cards. This year they want to be able to use their cards in the arcade. Their cards are not able to be used with our credit card, but is it possible to add cash to their cards and let them use their own cards in the arcade? They are saving their money to use on the boat. Thank you for all of your help!

Same exact situation here! Do I set them up on their OWN accounts or do they still have privileges on mine and I just limit how much per day can come from that folio or card? If I set it up as their own I need to go ahead and put enough on them to do their bottomless bubbles and theater on those as well? Right?

That is a great idea to set up the kids accounts with a set amount of cash to spend. Mine are also getting to the ages where I'd like to give them some freedom to spend but I thought I would have to just link theirs to my credit card and track it carefully. The cash idea will be much easier! Glad I came across this thread. :)

Grats for us are prepaid. Should I also prepay their bottomless bubbles or just put that cash on theirs as well? Did they allow you to just start it with $20 and add each day? Was there a minimum you could put on it? Sorry! You would think with as many cruises as I have done PLUS working onboard I would know this but I haven't had kids with me this age before! Thanks in advance!

I've always just put the amount on the card at the beginning of each cruise for them the entire cruise, like $10 a day. We are taking my big kids (22 and 25) with us this year and the 22 year old asked if he would be getting the card with the money again! I told him he had a job, he provided his own money! We paid his fare and tips. He pays for his drinks and spending.

We put our kids on our account that's linked to our credit card. Once on board we go to the carnival kiosk or the pursurs desk and choose unlimited spending for my dh and I. For my kids I choose a $100 spending limit. I tell them to make it last and if they behave and don't blow it all at once I add more later in the week. This is for teens btw. When they were little it was much less $$$. But yeah you can link everyone to one account with a credit card and then choose unlimited spending or put a limit on certain ones. And if they have money they've saved up and want to use on their account they give it to me and then I adjust the spending limit on their account.

It's my understanding that if you want it limited to a certain amount per day, then you have to manage / deposit X amount to their cards each day. If you put a lump sum on it, they have full access to spend it all at once. I may be wrong so please see what others have to say.

Throughout the year my kids would do chores to earn extra money for our vacation. On a normal vacation I just let them spend their money however they want. But on cruises they would give me the cash and I would keep the cash for shopping on the island or paying for a taxi or excursion or tipping etc. It keeps me from going to the ATM (the ATM fees are outrageous on cruise ships) and they get their money on their S&S account to spend. I never did cash straight to their S&S card because it's a lump sum and they could spend whatever cash amount you put on their card. You could go back every couple of days and add more cash but it's a nuisance standing in the long line at the pursers desk to get that done. It's easier to go to the kiosk (or with the newer ships you can use your hub app) and see how much they've spent and adjust their spending limit if it's on a credit card.