Driving from Ontario to Galveston

moopetguy

Ah, you're right, Google Maps does indicate that, though. I forgot to check the box for "avoid tolls". The toll-free alternative is I-69 to I-610 and TX-225.

Are they calling 59, I-69 now??? Anyway, you've left out the last piece, 59/69 to I-610 east, the 225 east, to 149 south.

Are they calling 59, I-69 now??? Anyway, you've left out the last piece, 59/69 to I-610 east, the 225 east, to 149 south.

That's what Google Maps seems to indicate -- US-59 turns into I-69.

The omission of the remainder of the route was intentional. I referred to using Google Maps for route details in a previous post.

Not that I personally care a whole lot, but technically it's also a thread hijack since the thread is discussing driving to Galveston, not Bayport. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some quick searches for flights out of YYZ, BUF, and DTW to HOU. Looks like they're all currently around $700 CAD pp. Even after considering all costs, driving would be no more than half the price for 3 people to fly. So, I'm pretty much committed to driving. If it were a difference of <$500 then I'd consider paying extra to fly. A difference of $1,000+, I'll drive.

I'm thinking about parking at EZ Cruise Parking. The booking page says that the shuttle leaves every 30 minutes or when full, but the FAQ says they only leave when full. There have been others complaining about this policy (which apparently is a change from past practice). Some have recommended other parking lots on this basis. But with a promo code, it's about $54 to park for the week. I figure I can either drop off the family with the luggage, park, and then walk, or simply walk with the luggage after parking. It really doesn't seem that far (less than a kilometre - around a half-mile, maybe, and not in sweltering or freezing weather).

I've made hotel bookings with favourable cancellation policies. I'm somewhat partial to Best Western PLUS properties due to past experience (and their loyalty program) and I tend to stick with what I know. The night prior to boarding, we'll stay at the BWP JFK Inn & Suites in Houston. That means a little over an hour's drive on embarkation morning.

On the way down and back, I've booked the BWP Goodman Inn & Suites that's in Horn Lake, MS, just south of Memphis.

Both BWPs are fairly well reviewed on TripAdvisor.

As mentioned before, I drove down to Port Everglades in 2014 and this is only a couple of hours further...but by November it'll be 2 years since Oasis, so hopefully the drive doesn't kill me in my older age ;)

We might decide to stay in Houston on disembarkation day if everyone is feeling up to it upon our return, and go to the Space Center. I've yet to do more research on this. I've been to the Kennedy Space Center (albeit not since 2006) so I'm interested in comparing the experience between them.

I've done some quick searches for flights out of YYZ, BUF, and DTW to HOU. Looks like they're all currently around $700 CAD pp. Even after considering all costs, driving would be no more than half the price for 3 people to fly. So, I'm pretty much committed to driving. If it were a difference of <$500 then I'd consider paying extra to fly. A difference of $1,000+, I'll drive.

I'm thinking about parking at EZ Cruise Parking. The booking page says that the shuttle leaves every 30 minutes or when full, but the FAQ says they only leave when full. There have been others complaining about this policy (which apparently is a change from past practice). Some have recommended other parking lots on this basis. But with a promo code, it's about $54 to park for the week. I figure I can either drop off the family with the luggage, park, and then walk, or simply walk with the luggage after parking. It really doesn't seem that far (less than a kilometre - around a half-mile, maybe, and not in sweltering or freezing weather).

I've made hotel bookings with favourable cancellation policies. I'm somewhat partial to Best Western PLUS properties due to past experience (and their loyalty program) and I tend to stick with what I know. The night prior to boarding, we'll stay at the BWP JFK Inn & Suites in Houston. That means a little over an hour's drive on embarkation morning.

On the way down and back, I've booked the BWP Goodman Inn & Suites that's in Horn Lake, MS, just south of Memphis.

Both BWPs are fairly well reviewed on TripAdvisor.

As mentioned before, I drove down to Port Everglades in 2014 and this is only a couple of hours further...but by November it'll be 2 years since Oasis, so hopefully the drive doesn't kill me in my older age ;)

We might decide to stay in Houston on disembarkation day if everyone is feeling up to it upon our return, and go to the Space Center. I've yet to do more research on this. I've been to the Kennedy Space Center (albeit not since 2006) so I'm interested in comparing the experience between them.

What route are you taking to end up in Horn Lake MS? I thought earlier in the thread you were going to come into west memphis and then west on i 40

What route are you taking to end up in Horn Lake MS? I thought earlier in the thread you were going to come into west memphis and then west on i 40

I'll be taking I-40 W but detouring to I-240 and I-55 to reach the hotel. It's a 40-km detour (a bit less than 30 minutes) in total vs. continuing on I-40 without stopping. There's one BWP that would only result in a detour of about 3 km but it's similarly-rated in TripAdvisor (i.e. not worlds better) and costs about $44 USD more. For me, I'll take the savings and the detour.

I'll be taking I-40 W but detouring to I-240 and I-55 to reach the hotel. It's a 40-km detour (a bit less than 30 minutes) in total vs. continuing on I-40 without stopping. There's one BWP that would only result in a detour of about 3 km but it's similarly-rated in TripAdvisor (i.e. not worlds better) and costs about $44 USD more. For me, I'll take the savings and the detour.

OK, I understand what your saying. i am planning this drive from ontario as well. Not for 2 years though. There doesn't seem to be a tonne of hotel choices along the way compare to the i75 to florida