Tracy Arm Excursion from cruise ship

Tennant

I am wondering if anyone knows the company that Holland America uses. I'd like to try and find some pictures of the boat to see the size and available outdoor space. Do they overbooked these tours so that you can't easily move around inside and outside?

They can't overbook for safety reasons - everyone must have a life preserver, etc. However, I would guarantee you that these tours will be at least 85% full. I'm sure it was full when we did it from Grand Princess in 2014 (one boat from Allen Marine), and it seemed like both boats were full when we did it from Ruby Princess in 2015.

I'm reasonably certain that these boats have a seat for everyone, but that would mean that it's a little cozy, and for everyone to be seated, some people must go upstairs (which can get rather humid). When we did the tour in 2015, the boat had a unique third deck: it'd only be opened up when stopped or maneuvering slowly, but that really opened up the viewing rails for all aboard.

Be aware that some snacks will be complementary, but the boats do have a modest galley and will sell lunch and souvenirs. Much to our surprise, they sold out of burgers in no time flat in 2015, so if you're particular, go early. (We "had" to eat as we were heading directly to a Juneau whale watch, and had to get a little creative with what they had left.)

Aw geez, now I've got the itch to go back to Alaska this year!

They can't overbook for safety reasons - everyone must have a life preserver, etc. However, I would guarantee you that these tours will be at least 85% full. I'm sure it was full when we did it from Grand Princess in 2014 (one boat from Allen Marine), and it seemed like both boats were full when we did it from Ruby Princess in 2015.

I'm reasonably certain that these boats have a seat for everyone, but that would mean that it's a little cozy, and for everyone to be seated, some people must go upstairs (which can get rather humid). When we did the tour in 2015, the boat had a unique third deck: it'd only be opened up when stopped or maneuvering slowly, but that really opened up the viewing rails for all aboard.

Be aware that some snacks will be complementary, but the boats do have a modest galley and will sell lunch and souvenirs. Much to our surprise, they sold out of burgers in no time flat in 2015, so if you're particular, go early. (We "had" to eat as we were heading directly to a Juneau whale watch, and had to get a little creative with what they had left.)

Aw geez, now I've got the itch to go back to Alaska this year!

The only comp snacks are sockeye salmon on a cracker, with them being one per customer, and a partial second round until gone. Yes they do book with everyone having a seat. It's at least 150 passengers on these tours, in my experience, 4 times in the past 2 seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked this for our cruise on the Neuiw Amsterdam leaving July 30th. The tour leaves at 10:30. We are so excited! For those of you who have done this before, will we get back to Juneau in time to book another excursion there? We are there till 10 pm. We were thinking of doing a whale watching excursion, but will that even be necessary after this? Do you see numerous whales on this trip as well? My dad wants to see whales, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to do this trip from the boat. Thanks!

We just booked this for our cruise on the Neuiw Amsterdam leaving July 30th. The tour leaves at 10:30. We are so excited! For those of you who have done this before, will we get back to Juneau in time to book another excursion there? We are there till 10 pm. We were thinking of doing a whale watching excursion, but will that even be necessary after this? Do you see numerous whales on this trip as well? My dad wants to see whales, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to do this trip from the boat. Thanks!

Disclaimer: we've done this twice on Princess, never on HAL, so I don't know the timetable you're working with. For us, we've done a whale watch in Juneau following the TA boat; one time it was easy, the second time was a mad dash, but both times our TA excursion started ~3 hours earlier in the morning. Whale-wise on the TA tour, in 2014 we saw 1 whale. In 2015, we saw several and they kept popping up for 15-20 minutes, though it was grey/dreary and they were tough to photograph (even with good skills and gear).

In August 2015, we had a 7:30-1:00 (schedule) TA tour and a 1:45-6:45 whale watch. The TA tour ran long, and because there were two boats and ours was second to return to the Ruby Princess, we scrambled across the ship to exit for our tour. The bus had left, but it was relatively easy to "encourage" them to bring the bus back. Check out our photos here: Cruise2015-4001 - arrow to the right to flip through. Once you get to image -4030, we're now on the whale watch through -4065 and the scenic hike part of the whale watch and photo safari continues to -4071. It was a very dark/dreary day, and I must add that the whale sightings on the TA tour were well above average.

In July 2014, we had a 8:30-2:00 TA tour that got back to the ship right about 2:00, but due to the slow re-boarding procedure and my desire to remain on the second level for photos before getting back on the ship, I was one of the last off the tour boat around 2:25 or 2:30. Because we re-boarded deck 4 forward and starboard side, while other passengers were heading into Juneau deck 4 forward and port side, the elevators were a madhouse, and I decided to walk up five flights to get to our cabin, change into dry (warm) clothes and different shoes, head to the buffet for a late lunch, then off the ship for a 3:45-8:45 whale watch. We weren't rushed, but we couldn't waste a ton of time either. Check out our pictures here: Cruise2014-BDCH again, arrow right to scroll through. This starts while still on the Grand Princess, then -BEBH is us getting on the small boat. -BFAA is returning to the Grand, -BFAB is a shot my wife got by being one of the first to reboard the Grand and "dashing" up to our cabin to get the shot. -BGBA is the beginning of the whale watch and photo safari, -BGGC is the transition to the photo hike, and -BHBA is the end of that tour.

Disclaimer: we've done this twice on Princess, never on HAL, so I don't know the timetable you're working with. For us, we've done a whale watch in Juneau following the TA boat; one time it was easy, the second time was a mad dash, but both times our TA excursion started ~3 hours earlier in the morning. Whale-wise on the TA tour, in 2014 we saw 1 whale. In 2015, we saw several and they kept popping up for 15-20 minutes, though it was grey/dreary and they were tough to photograph (even with good skills and gear).

In August 2015, we had a 7:30-1:00 (schedule) TA tour and a 1:45-6:45 whale watch. The TA tour ran long, and because there were two boats and ours was second to return to the Ruby Princess, we scrambled across the ship to exit for our tour. The bus had left, but it was relatively easy to "encourage" them to bring the bus back. Check out our photos here: Cruise2015-4001 - arrow to the right to flip through. Once you get to image -4030, we're now on the whale watch through -4065 and the scenic hike part of the whale watch and photo safari continues to -4071. It was a very dark/dreary day, and I must add that the whale sightings on the TA tour were well above average.

In July 2014, we had a 8:30-2:00 TA tour that got back to the ship right about 2:00, but due to the slow re-boarding procedure and my desire to remain on the second level for photos before getting back on the ship, I was one of the last off the tour boat around 2:25 or 2:30. Because we re-boarded deck 4 forward and starboard side, while other passengers were heading into Juneau deck 4 forward and port side, the elevators were a madhouse, and I decided to walk up five flights to get to our cabin, change into dry (warm) clothes and different shoes, head to the buffet for a late lunch, then off the ship for a 3:45-8:45 whale watch. We weren't rushed, but we couldn't waste a ton of time either. Check out our pictures here: Cruise2014-BDCH again, arrow right to scroll through. This starts while still on the Grand Princess, then -BEBH is us getting on the small boat. -BFAA is returning to the Grand, -BFAB is a shot my wife got by being one of the first to reboard the Grand and "dashing" up to our cabin to get the shot. -BGBA is the beginning of the whale watch and photo safari, -BGGC is the transition to the photo hike, and -BHBA is the end of that tour.

Thanks for all of the information! Our Tracy Arm excursion leaves the boat at 10:30. There is an evening whale watching tour that I was thinking about trying to do that leaves at 5:30 pm, I believe. I will have to talk to my mom and dad and see what their opinions are. I knew we didn't want to miss Tracy Arm though.

Thanks for all of the information! Our Tracy Arm excursion leaves the boat at 10:30. There is an evening whale watching tour that I was thinking about trying to do that leaves at 5:30 pm, I believe. I will have to talk to my mom and dad and see what their opinions are. I knew we didn't want to miss Tracy Arm though.

I think you said your dad wanted to see a lot? :)

Be out on deck, frankly from early am with binoculars. I always see humpbacks. plus it's nonstop close scenic sailing. :)

I got back "just in time" for the last blue bus to Mendenhall & we only had a short time there so that we could catch the last bus back to Juneau. (Our ship left several hours later, so we were able to wander a bit...)

Long way of saying that just because the ship is in port that there will be excursions available at all times.

• 1 month later...
Thoughts....

• if you can.... BOOK IT! Of all the Alaskan excursions... this WILL BE the first SELL OUT before the cruise ship leaves the dock.
  • the mid-cruise transfer saves you hours on 50 miles of ocean travel between Juneau and the mouth of Tracy. If you look at the Juneau return trip.... it cost more.
  • this tour will help give you time for other Juneau activities.

I have already booked a similar cruise on Princess. We cruise into the fjiords and get off the ship/transfer to smaller ship (boat) so we can get closer to the glaciers. We meet up with our ship in Juneau (she Ruby Princess arrives 30 minutes before we get there). It all sounds wonderful BUT, it's listed as a 6 hour cruise from 7:30am-1:30pm and also says there is NO RESTROOM on the ship. Yikes! Really?

I'm going to confirm with Princess but I also wanted to hear from those who have take this particular excursion.

I have already booked a similar cruise on Princess. We cruise into the fjiords and get off the ship/transfer to smaller ship (boat) so we can get closer to the glaciers. We meet up with our ship in Juneau (she Ruby Princess arrives 30 minutes before we get there). It all sounds wonderful BUT, it's listed as a 6 hour cruise from 7:30am-1:30pm and also says there is NO RESTROOM on the ship. Yikes! Really?

I'm going to confirm with Princess but I also wanted to hear from those who have take this particular excursion.

Allen Marine operates these tours typically, and their boats are generally quite consistent: 150 passengers, two levels (sometimes three, but the third is limited-access), some nibbles for free plus a galley with food/beverages for sale, and three restrooms aboard, one larger than the others for HC access.