Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

If you received a refund, that would be a final answer but I suspect they dont want people booking something they are not sure about yet.

I just looked on the Carnival site and they are still selling tours in Izmir. I just wish they'd go ahead and make a decision for the rest of the Med cruises.

I just looked on the Carnival site and they are still selling tours in Izmir. I just wish they'd go ahead and make a decision for the rest of the Med cruises.

On checking our trip July 9th the Izmir tours have been removed now from the site so maybe another indication that we won't get Izmir? Preempting it otherwise they have to do refunds !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On checking our trip July 9th the Izmir tours have been removed now from the site so maybe another indication that we won't get Izmir? Preempting it otherwise they have to do refunds !

Interesting; I still show "1 excursion booked" but all other excursions are removed for the 7/19 sailing.

On our cruise (June 21, 2016), there are no shore excursions listed for any of the ports on the Carnival website. It's been that way for a couple of days. Wonder what that means... website issues or itinerary issues?

Strange I'm on the 6/21 sailing too and I do have excursions showing up for Izmir.

Yes, there was at least a week in which the web site would not permit a person to schedule excursions at any of the ports on the June 21 (and other Carnival) sailings. Now it's fully functional....including nearly a dozen choices for Izmir. You wouldn't think that they would be offering Izmir tours if they were still contemplating scratching the stop there.

Fellow cruiser Lou the Glue reports that the Vista's second cruse (leaving Barcelona on May 14) will now be stopping at Kusadasi, Turkey on May 22. [For those not following this issue, the Vista was originally scheduled to stop at Izmir on May 22, but that stop was cancelled and replaced with a sea day because of security concerns]. Now the May 14 cruise will have its stop in Turkey which is important for serious shoppers. Without the stop in Turkey, passengers would have to pay an additional 10 to 20 per cent VAT for all of their on-board purchases.

For those not familiar with Turkish geography, Kusadasi is a relatively small town 60 miles south of Izmir (Turkey's third largest city). It is a more convenient jumping off point for Ephesus. No announcement has yet been made regarding Carnival's plans for Turkey on its later sailings.

Following is a copy of the e-mail sent to May 14 passengers, but please note that the passport collection information and the changed time for Rhodes is for a Barcelona-to-Athens sailing and would be different for an Athens-to-Barcelona itinerary.

ITINERARY CHANGE for CARNIVAL VISTA Sailing on May 14, 2016.

Dear Guests,

We hope you are as excited as we are about your upcoming cruise on Carnival Vista.

We are happy to let you know that we have been able to secure an alternative port in Turkey to replace the previously canceled call to Izmir. Kusadasi is much closer to Ephesus and we knew that many of you were looking forward to visiting this ancient wonder of the world. As you know, we canceled our call to Izmir based on the State Department Travel Advisory which we continue to monitor but Kusadasi is not the subject of this advisory. Several Carnival Corporation's sister lines have called in recent weeks with very positive feedback.

Kusadasi is a beautiful town on the western Aegean coast that not only provides a lovely seaside setting for exploring local sites and cuisine, but also provides convenient access to the ancient city of Ephesus. Shore excursions to Kusadasi will be available for purchase once you are on board the ship.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SAT Barcelona, Spain 5:00 PM

SUN Marseilles (Provence), France 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

MON Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

TUE Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00 AM 8:00 PM

WED Naples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 AM

THU Fun Day at Sea

FRI Crete (Heraklion), Greece 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

SAT Rhodes, Greece 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SUN Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 9:00 AM 5:30 PM

MON Athens, Greece 8:00 AM

TUE Athens, Greece

Please note that our times in Rhodes, Greece have slightly changed, as well. Pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions will be automatically adjusted to the new times. In the event your tour is affected, you will be notified on an individual basis.

Also, as you check-in, there is a possibility we will need to collect your passports in order to expedite immigration processing in Athens, Greece as the Carnival Vista will be returning from Turkey which is a non-European Union country.

The immigration authorities will not require your presence in person but we will collect your passport at embarkation to present to immigration on your behalf. We will keep your passports safe and secure during the cruise. Passports will be returned after our arrival in Athens.

Once again, we are truly excited for you to visit extraordinary and incomparable Ephesus or, you can of course, enjoy a full entertainment and activity program on board the beautiful Carnival Vista.

Sincerely,

Captain Rocco Lubrano

Master, Carnival Vista

Now, I am wondering about our June 11th sailing! This subject has not failed to keep me on my toes, while we count down. Haha

Kusadasi is showing on the Carnival web site excursion section as the port on June 19th.

Kusadasi is showing on the Carnival web site excursion section as the port on June 19th.

I see it now as well! Unexpected turn of events, but Kusadasi is an upgrade from Izmir! Looks like it has worked out for everyone. No VAT, port day, and excursions for those who want them. :)

Edited by Zionstorm

Although, no excursions are currently showing up as of yet.

I just reconfirmed our tour with Ephesus Shuttle and the price actually went down for our group of 7 to $385.00.Kusadasi is closer to Ephesus than Izmir is.

:D