Best rental car agency for LAX

I have been searching for the best option for renting a car from LAX. We will be in LA two days before embarkation and then one day after. I figured we get a rental from LAX after flying in on Sat. night and explore LA and return it before the cruise Mon. morning and take an uber to the port. Good Idea?:confused:

There are so many reviews on different search engines for the different agencies, I know it depends when you fly in and the number of people renting at that particular time.

But overall I know a lot of you cruise critic members have traveled LAX a lot and are familiar with the different rental agency and know which ones to stay away from, and which once are decently priced and not so crowded or poor service.

I am currently booked with AVIS. How are they? Do you see shuttles for them often? How are there lines? Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi no one else answered so I will see what I can remember.

We hired a care from Lax about 4 years ago through drive away . Com a Australian booking agent, I can't remember who it was now but it was a big international like Avis Or budget.

Was easy to find and we returned it at the port in long beach for a small one way fee. I would look into the cost of this as it maybe a good option rather then a taxi.

On a side note we dropped the car of the night before and stayed on the Queen Mary which is now a hotel in the port in longbeach. It was not expensive and great fun. The rooms where very comfortable and after a nice breakfast we could walk to the cruise terminal not 100 meters away.

Sylva

Thank you for replying ...usually so many CC members are full of responses....Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I'm going to go with Avis...I think the one way return fee is going to out weigh the Uber/shuttle fee though... I was just wondering what peoples experience with the different agencies were at LAX, I've been hearing Avis is good and reputable , but then I hear that they have extremely long lines are their customer service is bad....So I guess people experiences are all different...Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks again

I actually live here in Los Angeles. I would go with any of the bigger nationally known rental car agencies; Such as Avis, Budget, National, and Dollar, or Alamo car rental. You can make the reservation online a take one of the many car rental shuttle buses/vans to the rental agency just outside of the LAX airport. Uber is a great option if you aren’t bringing tons of luggage. One other option would be to rent a car from LAX but return it to a rental agency near the port. Please note the Port of Long Beach is NOT anywhere near LAX. Try to avoid a taxi as it will cost a fortune to get you from the Airport area to the port. Avis is a great option (my aunt works there at the airport Avis location) and they always have very good specials, however no need to purchase any other add on’s . I hope you enjoy your stay in Los Angeles.

Thank you for replying ...usually so many CC members are full of responses....Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I'm going to go with Avis...I think the one way return fee is going to out weigh the Uber/shuttle fee though... I was just wondering what peoples experience with the different agencies were at LAX, I've been hearing Avis is good and reputable , but then I hear that they have extremely long lines are their customer service is bad....So I guess people experiences are all different...Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks again

All of the Agencies have long lines at time. LAX is an international airport, tons of flights coming and going all day. As long as you have a reservation for your car rental you should be fine. I beleive Dollar Car rental allows you to reserve online and walk straight to the car and get in (the rental contract and keys are already inside), at least that was the case a year or so ago. I would return the car to the LAX rental location and take Uber to the port.

Thank you so much for your feedback...We have reservations with Avis & that is exactly what I was thinking about doing returning the car at LAX and take an Uber to port...That seems affordable and hopefully an Uberx is sufficient.

Its 4 of us, 2 adults 2 kids, and 2 normal suitcases plus our personal size bag like tote bag.

With the price of dropping the car off near port we might as well take the shuttle, but Uber is affordable so, thanks again for the input.