Cruise cancellation - refund of taxes

broyles60

Hello,

Three weeks ago my husband and I had to cancel our cruise at the last minute. We did not purchase insurance. It is my understanding that we will receive a refund of the port taxes. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate?

Thanks in advance.

You get back 100% of what's called the Government Fees and Taxes.

Port Charges are something else. They are embedded as apart of your cruise fare and you do not get those back.

Port charges are part of the Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses portion of what you pay and they are refundable. Some guests receive small amount of on-board credit when they embark due to downward adjustments to these expenses. Guests may also receive a refund of port fees/expenses, generally though an on-board credit, if a port is call is missed.

Sorry you had to cancel your cruise. That's a bummer [emoji853]

Thank you! We are planning to rebook another this year if circumstances permit.

Where in Westerville do you live? I live in Avon now but grew up in Worthington and after soccer games we used to go up to the Masseys pizza in Westerville. Great place to live:)

Port charges are part of the Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses portion of what you pay and they are refundable. Some guests receive small amount of on-board credit when they embark due to downward adjustments to these expenses. Guests may also receive a refund of port fees/expenses, generally though an on-board credit, if a port is call is missed.

You are incorrect.

Port Charges, also know as NCF's in the industry are embedded in a quoted cruise fare. As an example, if on a 7 night Carnival cruise you are quoted $699 per person this would include Port Charges (or NCF's) of approximately $159. On the back end the cruise fare is $540 + $159 =$699.

You are legally quoted $699 per person + Government Fess and Taxes of ($102.57 per person for example) for a total per person cruise fare of $801.57 per person.

The small amount of OnBoard Credit is an adjustment to the Government Fees and Taxes as they are divided equally among the exact final number of passengers counted on the manifest after the sailing is officially closed.

In the event of a cancellation of my example above, the customer would get back the $102.57 per person in Government Fees and Taxes. They would not get back any of the $159 embedded Port Charges (NCF'S)