Equinox Captain....true or not true

midwestchick

You are fortunate. One that immediately comes to mind that did negatively impact passengers (glad I didn't sail with him) was the captain of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, ex-Captain Francesco Schettino.

Are we really fortunate, or is an uneventful cruise the norm?

I am very sorry for those passengers who sailed on the Concordia, that disaster never should have happened.

Does it really matter so long as they know how to drive the ship safely :)

Exactly. Keep us off the rocks, keep the crew happy, and you certainly don't have to entertain me or even talk to me other than a quick hello if we bump into each other.

Edited by BosoxI

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Equinox yesterday and absolutely loved Alejandro. We thought he was hilarious. I would look for a cruise that he was cruise director. He left with us for vacation. I guess people have different ideas of likes but Alejandro sure seemed to be loved by most of the folks on our cruise. Just to give you some idea of our demographic, we are 65 years old and have been on 20 cruises.

• 4 months later...
Sometimes a great captain makes a difference. We sailed twice with Captain Tasos on the Constellation and his presentation with slide show on the building of a new cruise ship was the most informative and entertaining day time onboard activity I have ever attended! His daily announcements were funny, he was present at some of the events and we felt that he contributed to the entire cruise experience as if his ambition and enthusiasm trickled down on all the staff. Really, we did another Constellation with another captain and everything was just a bit less inspired.

I have to agree - I was on the Constellation and thoroughly enjoyed his presentation! I have sailed with Capt. Leo and Capt. Tasos and they both offered something to enhance the entire cruise experience. I don't pick a cruise based on the Capt, but I have been on cruises where at the end I didn't even remember the Capt's name because they did not leave much of an impression (other than getting me to my destination safely :p).