Has anyone done the St. Pedro & Turtle Farm excursion in Grand Cayman?

love2shell

Has anyone done the St. Pedro and Turtle Farm excursion? If so, can you provide some details? Do you spend a lot of time on a bus to get to these locations? Are the locations clean and safe?

Is the lagoon where you swim with the turtles clear or murky? Is the water slide and pool nice?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by love2shell
Add port

Unless things have changed, the Turtle Farm is just that - A FARM.

The turtles are stacked up in pools awaiting "harvesting." This is not an ecological project. It is a food source for local restaurants.

Maybe things have changed. I hope so. We were actually quite disgusted to see the way the turtles were kept.

Unless things have changed, the Turtle Farm is just that - A FARM.

The turtles are stacked up in pools awaiting "harvesting." This is not an ecological project. It is a food source for local restaurants.

Maybe things have changed. I hope so. We were actually quite disgusted to see the way the turtles were kept.

The Turtle Farm is not there just for a food source for local restaurants. You are wrong.

The Turtle Farm raises turtles for release into the wild because Turtles are endangered. The only reason they can offer it up as food to local restaurants is because they release so many of them into the wild. It's no worse than a salmon farm.

Their record of raising and releasing Turtles is admirable. The Turtle Farm is a wonderful place to go to see turtles of all sizes, learn about their lives, swim with them, and be able to hold them. There is no where else in the world that offers this kind of service. It is a wonderful experience!

To the OP....the Turtle Farm was a blast!! Please don't let people tell you otherwise.

https://www.turtle.ky/research-conservation

I can't speak for the full excursion, but IIRC it is about 15 min drive from the port to the turtle farm. The area is very nice (as is pretty much all of Grand Cayman). The lagoon where the turtles & fish are is a bit murky, but nothing worse that I would expect in an enclosed space with living creatures.

The Turtle Farm is worth a stop. But yes, for the most part they are in concrete enclosures, and it's not always the prettiest display. But they do admirable work and you learn about the turtles.

Grand Cayman is one of my all time favorite stops. A very friendly, clean place with lots of options.

If you can, the Stingray experience is not to be missed (IMHO).