Strange question

alliemom39

Hi all!

I am going on a cruise in June with my parents, daughter, aunt and uncle. We got an awesome cabin deal that was only available to my father, aunt and uncle so we had to be creative with the way we organized who is in each room. My daughter will be with my aunt and I will be with my uncle at least on paper. We will "rearrange" sleeping arrangements when we get there. What happens if my aunt and uncle end up not going on the cruise? They declined the insurance(knowing they might not go because she has health issues) because they have to go in order for me to get the same great room deal. Had they decided not to go with us, my room would be the standard rate which is almost 4 times what we paid. So if they do not check in at the time of the cruise but their cabins are paid in full, does it matter? Do you think they will revert my rate back up? The biggest issue I see is a minor child(15) would be the only one checking into one of the cabins. I can check in with my uncle's cabin but not sure how it would affect my daughter. Basically the ship would end up with 1 empty room.

I know this is a very strange question and hopefully it won't even happen and she will be well enough to go. Obviously people don't throw away money like my aunt and uncle are but they offered so it is what it is. I just don't want them throwing away the money and it not even working when we go to check in. I have to imagine there are times when both parties are checking in at the same time.

Any thoughts????

The minor child will not be able to check in alone for her cabin without one of the adults who got the great room rate there with her. When you get some kind of special fare, like for military or police or a retiree fare or even a special fare because of where you live, you must present proof that you actually qualify for that lower rate or else they make you pay the full regular fare, right then and there with your credit card. When we got a special fare because we lived in Arizona, we had to show proof of residence in Arizona before they let us check in for our cabin. When my cousin, who's currently in the Navy, got a special fare on Carnival because he's military, he had to show proof that he's actually in the military. They will make you pay the full fare if the Aunt and Uncle don't show up because there's no way to prove you qualify for that low fare.

If your family member has health issues, why don't they get insurance? That way, they don't lose their cruise fare. Health issues is the number one reason to have cruise insurance.

BTW, I don't know your personal situation, but when one parent takes a minor child out of the country, that parent will need a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission to take that child out of the country. This is to prevent a non-custodial parent from taking a child away---not that you're doing that. But cruise lines can refuse boarding if you don't have that letter.

Ok...thank you everyone. I just don't know who to contact. When we booked they said everything should be okay but I guess we will find out. I just got nervous that the booking person was just telling us that it would be okay to sell it. We booked directly with Carnival. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Thank you for telling me about the letter... I always have one with me regardless of whether we are going out of the country. My daughter travels extensively with her dad so we always cover each other in that regards.