Man overboard Sensation

cruiser fanatic

I was on lthe ship too. Wondering if someone thought someone fell off the ship and threw out the ring.

Could have been a crew member but if no one saw the rescue lifeboat being raised back with and extra person wet on board, could have been a false alarm. My guess would be a drunken prankster saying to friends, "Watch This! Ha Ha!" And tossing the ring overboard.:eek:

I was on this ship, here's full rundown:

1pm - 3 signals of ships horn and captain announces man overboard. Ship begins to circle around, life preserver is in the water.

1:30pm - Crew finally lowers rescue boat to begin search, meanwhile ship has passed life ring w/ no one inside.

2pm - Cruise Director announces that there is a missing person reported on board.

2:30pm - Captain Announces that Coast Guard has been notified and we are at an full stop.

3pm - Passengers are told that they will be called by floor to come to the Empress atrium w/ sign and sail for accurate count. They scanned cards and asked that passengers stay clear of atrium.

4pm - Cruise director calls for all crew to level 3 for headcount.

4:30pm - After seeing numerous passes by coast guard plane the Captain announces that all passengers are accounted for and we will start back to Port Canaveral.

Here's the weird things:

Captain never said all crew accounted for.

We were between Miami and Freeport when this occured.

We headed back like a bat out of hell, We started back at 5pm. and we're in Port Canaveral @ 1:30 am for a "Medical Debark".

Best friend and her daughter were on that cruise (I was supposed to go, changed my mind, and good thing, have the flu...)

It was a crew member--they even sent the USCG out. She did speak to someone who said it was a crew member....and they did make a run back to port and arrived in the middle of the night...

Best friend and her daughter were on that cruise (I was supposed to go, changed my mind, and good thing, have the flu...)

It was a crew member--they even sent the USCG out. She did speak to someone who said it was a crew member....and they did make a run back to port and arrived in the middle of the night...

Oh no.:( So it wasn't a false alarm, after all? How terrible. I hope the crewmember survived...

Something fishy, here. If there was a person missing, the USCG would generally not release the cruise ship from the scene for several hours, not just two, and usually not until surface assets were on site. Especially since the ship "raced" back and arrived early, the USCG would have kept them on station to assist until the point where the ship's schedule would be affected even travelling at full speed, and there were sufficient assets on site. It sounds more to me that a crewmember required medical attention, and the ship proceeded to port as quickly as possible.

Oh, I was interpreting it as it was a crew member that went overboard, and the crew member was rescued, and the ship raced back to shore possibly in order to get the crew member to a hospital. But I guess I was making some leaps of assumption, there. This sounds like a mystery (and quite possibly a tragedy:() to which we will probably not get the answers.

I was on that ship and was searching for an update on what happened. What was the final story? We stopped for like 3+ hrs. Called coast guard. Let rescue boat search for s while. Caused huge interruption in ship and scared some kids etc. All for a suspected missing person? What if someone was passed out in a bathroom or another location? Seems ridiculous that a ship in the middle of an ocean would need to do all of that for a hoax. Wouldn't they confirm all aboard before calling coast guard and all of that? Maybe that's maritime law but I would think there needs to be a reason to call " man overboard" and they even specified port side. I didn't see anything else around other than this post? I suspected crew member overboard but like to find out what happened.

Anyone know the real story/result?