Getting to El Yunque

Jesteraak

Does anyone have any tips on how to best get to/experience El Yunque? I've never been and the cruise excursion (shocker) is very pricey - plus I like to book directly with local operators wherever possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

How long is your stop and what are the arrival and sail time? Depending on the amount of time you have available your experience in El Yunque can vary. The more time the better! You will find tour operators that do excursions to El Yunque. Talk to them about what's included in the quoted price. Keep in mind that El Yunque is a good 45 mins-1hr drive from the pier and back from the rain forest with normal traffic. So you have to factor that in with the amount of time you have available. I hesitate to recommend any operator just on word of mouth since I have never used one (been there so many times I know my way around...lol). Do a search here or google on El Yunque tours and you might find some more info. Good luck!!

How long is your stop and what are the arrival and sail time? Depending on the amount of time you have available your experience in El Yunque can vary. The more time the better! You will find tour operators that do excursions to El Yunque. Talk to them about what's included in the quoted price. Keep in mind that El Yunque is a good 45 mins-1hr drive from the pier and back from the rain forest with normal traffic. So you have to factor that in with the amount of time you have available. I hesitate to recommend any operator just on word of mouth since I have never used one (been there so many times I know my way around...lol). Do a search here or google on El Yunque tours and you might find some more info. Good luck!!

We are in PR from 8am-5pm. I haven't had much luck finding an operator and was also just considering renting a car and driving there (it's about the same price as far as I can tell) Do you have any recommendations for must see spots? Where to enter/where to hike etc?

We are in PR from 8am-5pm. I haven't had much luck finding an operator and was also just considering renting a car and driving there (it's about the same price as far as I can tell) Do you have any recommendations for must see spots? Where to enter/where to hike etc?

Personally, since it is quite a distance away from the ship and you are only there for the day, I would not risk renting a car or even using a private local tour operator, for fear of missing the ship!:eek: Many things could happen to hinder your return to the ship, and they will NOT wait for you! If you play it safe and use the RCCL excursion, you are guaranteed to be on the ship when it departs.:rolleyes: Just my opinion. Good luck!

You have plenty of time to enjoy El Yunque if you are organized. If you're on your rental an on the road at 9am (leaving 1hr. to leisurely debark the ship) and being back in OSJ by 4pm you have a minimum of 4 hours at El Yunque. This is leaving 1 1/2 hr. drive time each way (although at the times you'll be on the road, it should be about an hour drive each way). If you decide to hike the Big tree Trail (which is the one I'd recommend) it's a 45 min.- 1hr. walk to the falls. Here's some more info on that: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/hike-big-tree-trail-to-la-mina-falls/

Barring they close down the highway for an accident, you should be ok, time-wise, with your trip to el Yunque. If you decide to go with the operator route and are considering Ellis Tours (good reviews here and on Tripadvisor) be aware that Ellis does NOT take you into the heart of the forrest. He'll still take you to El Yunque mountain but it's going to be on the outskirts of the National Park part of the forest.

• 2 weeks later...