Western Caribbean on Norwegian Jewel or Celebrity Century

travelling mom

We are new to cruising and have been on NCL Pride of America. We are planning a Western Caribbean cruise in March 2006 and presently have two options.

One is on the Norwegian Jewel, we love freestyle cruising and love the fact that it is a brand new ship.

The other option is on Celebrity's Century, its an older ship and I believe it is to be drydocked next April. Heard that Celebrity is a great cruise line with great food and service.

Cost for both cruises are about the same with the Celebrity cruise being a few hundred dollars less.

Celebrity's itinerary goes to Cozumel & Costa Maya, Montego Bay, & Grand Cayman.

NCL 's itinerary goes to Roatan, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios & their private island.

Help, need some advice, which one do you suggest?

I was on Celebrity once and was completely unimpressed. I know other rave about the food and service, perhaps I was expecting too much.

I like new ships. And because I usually travel on new ships, I've come to expect some things that the "older" ships sometimes don't have. Like refrigerators in every cabin, working plumbing, good water pressure. Do you book balconies? I'm trying to remember if Century has them?

What I would do is read as many recent reviews as you can. I seem to recall that Century ran into some problems with the CDC last year, hopefully it has been resolved. However, check out the reviews to make sure.

Celebrity is very structured. Formal dining. I believe they still have semi-formal evening(s) in addition to the formal. The buffet becomes a sit-down dinner at night, where you have to make reservations.

If it were me, I would pick the Jewel.

Archived