March 20th - NYC Marathon - Traffic Issues

Mom to 2

I know this has been mentioned in the roll call, but haven't seen a thread on here. For anyone cruising on the Breakaway, March 13-20th, there is a marathon in NYC on the day we return. The marathon will close down many roads and the Lincoln Tunnel making travel out of and around the area challenging. :( I guess this could also affect those embarking on the Breakaway that day as well. The marathon begins at 7:30 am, so roads should start to open mid-late morning.

We disembarked from the Jewel one year and the Gem the following year and encountered this problem. The first year we had no idea and were delayed quite a bit. The following year we knew about the marathon and had a plan :D

This is the half marathon... last time I took a car service they had such a terrible time trying to get down there, they cancelled on me after waiting for 2 hours. Luckily I was able to get someone who was just trolling the area to give me a ride to Newark airport at the 11th hour but the chaos was terrible and I vowed not to do it again.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

We are taking a coach bus. I am working with the bus company to figure things out, but apparently buses are not allowed to travel on the West Side Highway to get to the George Washington Bridge. I'm trying not to worry too much, but I do wish we were driving again this time.

Here's a link for Lincoln Tunnel closures. It is updated weekly so nothing would be listed yet.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-lincoln-tunnel.html

Embarking is not too bad. Last year the marathon was during our embarkation as well and as long as you cme from the GWB you should be fine. The traffic was busy but we still made it....just plan for a little extra time...

It's funny... it's not like this is the first time this Marathi has take place. You would think that the cab drivers, car services, etc... would figure out a work around.

We are coming into penn station on the train. We arrive at 9:15. We were planning on getting a cab from there to the terminal, but it looks like all routes cross the marathon in multiple places.

Our friends walked from the ship to Penn Station. They did encounter one spot where they had to go down into the subway to get past a blocked area and that was a pain with their suitcases :eek: But, otherwise the walk wasn't too bad.

Our friends walked from the ship to Penn Station. They did encounter one spot where they had to go down into the subway to get past a blocked area and that was a pain with their suitcases :eek: But, otherwise the walk wasn't too bad.

I mean, that's our backup plan. But it's about a mile and a half (1.3 for the most direct route according to google maps, and I'm sure the route won't be the most direct). Any other time, we would absolutely walk, but that's a pretty long walk with suitcases, and a kid in midtown.

Edited by HeyPorter

We are coming into penn station on the train. We arrive at 9:15. We were planning on getting a cab from there to the terminal, but it looks like all routes cross the marathon in multiple places.

We left one year on a train after disembarking during the marathon. It was highly stressful and basically had to run through NYC from the port to the train carrying suitcases as it was just my kids and I. Cabs can't get to/from the port, so ask someone to get you on a subway that will at least get you past the closure so you can cab the rest of the way.

Good luck!