Grenada River Tubing....

tcdtcd

Anyone recommend?

We're thinking of taking this Princess excursion in Dec. However, having read the Belize board and the 'snake adventure' I'm beginning to rethink! lol!!

Who's been on this excursion and what did you think??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on the 10/29 Sun Princess and did the ship's river tubing excursion. Do it!!! It's fun. You are required to wear a lifevest and crash helmet. At first, I thought they were being overly protective but they are for your safety. I could see where the helmet would come in handy if you got tipped out or banged into a rock backwards. One man did lose his tube and lost his glasses but suprisingly enough, the help guy near him found them.

The tubes are not truck tires, but heavy yellow rubber (vinyl?) with two handles and a bottom. If you have ever been to a water park, these are similar. Once you get on your tube, the group waits until everyone is 'loaded'. There are 6 or so guys that walk down the 'river' and station themselves at different points to help you out by turning you to face forward, pulling your tube back into the flow if you get stuck on a rock or shallow spot or wedged against a boulder. Everyone goes down one at a time and when the 'rapids' are finished, everyone waits in slower moving pools while the helping guys go down and station themselves along the next set of rapids to help you again.

While in your tube going thru the rapids, you feel a bit like a ping pong ball as you bounce off of boulders. In the pool areas, the water may get over your head, but the water on the rapids is shallow- maybe waist deep, but with a forceful flow. Having a bottom on the tube is good as you need to 'butt up' going over some shallow areas but don't have to worry about tearing up you bathing suit if you don't lift in time.

All ages and sizes of people were in our group. Some had signed up early and did the ride although the info on the ship said there was a 200 lb limit. They had no problems. There were also some young teens/pre teens along, but I didn't see younger children. It might not be good for a young timid child since you are sent one by one. One adult in our group was petrified, but was happy she did it once.

Most all wore water shoes, sandals or tennis shoes as the bottom is rocky at the end where you get out. Also, you'll might use your feet to push off boulders as you ride along.

It was a great day and fun excursion. Remember to wear sun screen.

Judy

I was on the 10/29 Sun Princess and did the ship's river tubing excursion. Do it!!! It's fun. You are required to wear a lifevest and crash helmet. At first, I thought they were being overly protective but they are for your safety. I could see where the helmet would come in handy if you got tipped out or banged into a rock backwards. One man did lose his tube and lost his glasses but suprisingly enough, the help guy near him found them.

The tubes are not truck tires, but heavy yellow rubber (vinyl?) with two handles and a bottom. If you have ever been to a water park, these are similar. Once you get on your tube, the group waits until everyone is 'loaded'. There are 6 or so guys that walk down the 'river' and station themselves at different points to help you out by turning you to face forward, pulling your tube back into the flow if you get stuck on a rock or shallow spot or wedged against a boulder. Everyone goes down one at a time and when the 'rapids' are finished, everyone waits in slower moving pools while the helping guys go down and station themselves along the next set of rapids to help you again.

While in your tube going thru the rapids, you feel a bit like a ping pong ball as you bounce off of boulders. In the pool areas, the water may get over your head, but the water on the rapids is shallow- maybe waist deep, but with a forceful flow. Having a bottom on the tube is good as you need to 'butt up' going over some shallow areas but don't have to worry about tearing up you bathing suit if you don't lift in time.

All ages and sizes of people were in our group. Some had signed up early and did the ride although the info on the ship said there was a 200 lb limit. They had no problems. There were also some young teens/pre teens along, but I didn't see younger children. It might not be good for a young timid child since you are sent one by one. One adult in our group was petrified, but was happy she did it once.

Most all wore water shoes, sandals or tennis shoes as the bottom is rocky at the end where you get out. Also, you'll might use your feet to push off boulders as you ride along.

It was a great day and fun excursion. Remember to wear sun screen.

Judy

:D Thank You! I was really hoping you would post your experience - we leave on Friday 11/11! Thanks for the info on the shoes - I will have to remember to throw in some old tennis for my daughter.

We are thinking about this for our 6 and 8 year old daughters - they can both swim and are not afraid of water. I have no worries for the 8 yo, but the 6 yo is small for her age - I guess if the tube has a bottom - she wouldn't fall through!

• 2 weeks later...
:D Thank You! I was really hoping you would post your experience - we leave on Friday 11/11! Thanks for the info on the shoes - I will have to remember to throw in some old tennis for my daughter.

We are thinking about this for our 6 and 8 year old daughters - they can both swim and are not afraid of water. I have no worries for the 8 yo, but the 6 yo is small for her age - I guess if the tube has a bottom - she wouldn't fall through!

Well this was the first tour to sell out - I am not sure when - but the tour print-outs had it listed as sold out the first time I looked. I don't know what it was like - but if you are interested I would suggest booking online!

• 2 months later...

Archived