Funniest thing you have ever seen on a ship?

jennew

In '03 we took a Panama Canal trip with Princess. Now we are in our 50's and were among the youngest on broad! One gentleman from Scotland was in his mid 90's. He was a delightful gent - but he had one problem - 'they' kept moving his cabin!

The poor man spent the entire 15 day cruise looking for his cabin. It got to the point that most of the passingers knew where his cabin was and helped him 'find' it.

I will never forget his face when he complained about "they" who moved his cabin. Red was not his color, esp. at his age.

We were on Celebrity Galaxy looking for a seat in a packed showroom before the show began. We noticed half a row being saved with sweaters with no one around. There were two seats next to the saved seats with nothing on them so we sat down. Out of nowhere came a crazed woman running into the row demanding we get up that she was savings all of the seats for her family. We told her there was nothing on these chairs and that she shouldn't be savings seats anyway. After a few minutes of her very loudly shouting and swearing at us in a foreign language a small crowd began to gather; she then proceeded to sit on me with her arms crossed and refused to get off of me. Her husband finally showed up and took her off of me apologizing repeatedly. They sat next to us the entire show. Oddly enough, no other family members showed up to fill the seats. We were in shock at the time, but laugh about it still. :eek:

I don't know why this struck me as funny....but it always has.

We were on Volendam a few years ago (first mistake) and as I boarded an elevator an elderly gent stepped on smoking a cigarette...sensing my discomfort he proclaimed "this is the smoking elevator"...to which I replied "I don't think there's any such thing"...to which he stated "f**k you" and stepped off...I laughed so hard I thought I was going to stop breathing for good !! :D . And still I don't know why I seems funny.

I thought that was funny :D :D

Probably the funniest thing I've seen on a cruise was when my son joined in the line dance and was the mirror image of everyone else on the dance floor. He had everyone in stitches and I don't think he ever realized what he was doing. No one was hurt, they all figured out how to dance around him.

Years ago, on a Carnival cruise (gasp!), they used to have "Male Nightgown Contests", which pretty much amounted to men getting dressed up in their wives' nightgowns and parading around on stage. The guys willing to participate in this contest were generally in their twenties or thirties. You'd see a lot of hairy chested gents wearing tiny lace and satin get-ups which was pretty funny in itself.

We were helping a friend get dressed up and were off to the side of the stage and watching all the contestants before the show, and noticed a rather generously figured senior lady standing close to the contestants, dressed in a long muumuu type outfit. We wondered if she was perhaps there watching her grandson or something. Well, the cruise director finally came along, and politely told her that the show was about to start and she might want to get a seat.

She replied "Hey - I'm one of the contestants!" Turned out it was an older man who was doing an absolutely great job of impersonating a lady. He ended up winning "Miss Congeniality". :)

While on a catamaran trip in St. Lucia we entered a bay (forgot the name) where some of the movie Doctor Doolittle was filmed. We were mooned by 3 men. As we were exiting the bay, we looked for them again & there they were out in the deeper water waving their bathing suits over their heads with one hand & raising a drink to us in the other.

This happened on RCL not Celebrity but it was very funny to me. Brilliance of the Seas has those beautiful glass elevators facing the sea. As they move up and down sometimes the view is also of the decks with deck chairs.

A woman sitting in a deck chair directly facing the elevator on one deck had fallen asleep reading a book. The book had fallen and her face was twisted into a garish expression as she fitfully slept.

Untold hundreds or at least scores of people must have watched her lovely visage as they went up and down the elevator that day.

I was tempted to go back to the cabin to get my camera but didn't do it.

This happened on RCL not Celebrity but it was very funny to me. Brilliance of the Seas has those beautiful glass elevators facing the sea. As they move up and down sometimes the view is also of the decks with deck chairs.

A woman sitting in a deck chair directly facing the elevator on one deck had fallen asleep reading a book. The book had fallen and her face was twisted into a garish expression as she fitfully slept.

Untold hundreds or at least scores of people must have watched her lovely visage as they went up and down the elevator that day.

I don't know why this struck me as funny....but it always has.

We were on Volendam a few years ago (first mistake) and as I boarded an elevator an elderly gent stepped on smoking a cigarette...sensing my discomfort he proclaimed "this is the smoking elevator"...to which I replied "I don't think there's any such thing"...to which he stated "f**k you" and stepped off...I laughed so hard I thought I was going to stop breathing for good !! :D . And still I don't know why I seems funny.

Cracked me up! I think we presume that the "elderly" are genteel. When I hit that category, I will do whatever I can to dispel that myth.

Perhaps the look on my face at the end of this story would qualify...on our last cruise at the repeat cruisers' party, we happened to meet two very nice, down-to-earth couples who were traveling together. As the cruise progressed, we would greet them as we saw them around the ship and in port, and would ask how their cruise was going. As we were picking up some cheap souveniers in Cozumel, we again ran into them in one of the shops and said hello. Later, back on the ship, we saw them at the cafe near the pool, and asked how their shopping expedition went. One woman showed us her new gold bracelet. When we asked if they had found any good deals, the one husband said very casually, "Well, I did buy my wife a diamond ring, but it won't be ready until next Tuesday so we're going to fly back down after the cruise and pick it up. They wanted $32,000 for it, but we talked them down to $28,000."

:eek:!!!!

(Sorry, ladies, he's taken!)

One gentleman from Scotland was in his mid 90's. He was a delightful gent - but he had one problem - 'they' kept moving his cabin!

och that would be the wee drams that were confuddling him - pair wee soul:)

A few years back on a tranatlantic on Century, the cruise director held a "white elephant sale" for stuff people bought on their cruise that didn't have room in their luggage to take it home, or didn't want to bring it home - gave them a way of sluffing off some junk to someone else.

One lady had a Maderia hat she bought at that port - its a wully hat, covers your ears and has a huge pompom on top and strung under the chin. It was hiddeous looking but the national hat. This poor woman was talking it up about how useful it could be in the cold weather, and wonderful souvenier from the island. She put it on her hear and the audience keeled over in raukus laughter - she had an offended look as to not understand the lack of appreciation for its unique beauty. I love these events but hope to seee more.

The other funny / odd thing I remeber was on Mercury's inagural cruise - arriving at Calica, Mexico -- no tenders were there to get us off the ship, my husband overheard someone on an officers on radios comning across saying "ah the Mexicans have F*(?ed up big time once again! - we got a good laugh out of that too.

Vistadeck

Archived