America's Cup - book via cruise line or not?

TravlGrl

For all of you who've done the America's Cup Regatta, have any of you booked with someone outside of the cruise line? I see that we could pay $109/pp through the cruise line or $81/pp through Island Marketing. While I've used that vendor for other types of excursions (usually beach breaks), I'm curious to hear if anyone has used them for this excursion (or any other vendor outside of the cruise line)??

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately for cruisers the only way you can book this is via the ship.

You might inquiry with IM and see if they can accommodate, but I think that's the land vacationers' price. AC charges more for ship excursions because they have to share 40-50% of the fee with the cruise lines.

Hey, don't let the price alone dissuade you.

If you like to sail, have ever raced sail boats of any size, or follow the AC each time it comes up, and want to do something besides just lie around on the beach or avoid the hawkers in the shops, this is a really good excursion to do. You're on an actual AC 12meter that competed in either the finals or the preliminaries to one of the past AC. (I think most of the boats used in various ports are from the 1990s races). :)

Hey, don't let the price alone dissuade you.

If you like to sail, have ever raced sail boats of any size, or follow the AC each time it comes up, and want to do something besides just lie around on the beach or avoid the hawkers in the shops, this is a really good excursion to do. You're on an actual AC 12meter that competed in either the finals or the preliminaries to one of the past AC. (I think most of the boats used in various ports are from the 1990s races). :)

No, the price isn't a deterrence. We usually don't book ship's excursions, but if it's a requirement, then it is what it is. I grew up boating my entire life, but not sailing. DH and I love the water, and we'll book this once the excursions open up for our sailing. We've been to St. Maarten so many times and want to do something different this time around.

Edited by TravlGrl

• 2 weeks later...
Can't u just call "america's cup office' and book, The shop is right near the docks, where they sell shirts. Or look for the website and book on your own.

http://12metre.com/

Because when I started my research on this, I went to the website and saw this -- http://www.12metre.com/regatta_book.php

Yes, I will be arriving via cruise ship.

Next, I posted this thread and got the expert advice here that it's my only option. If I wait to book in person once we dock, the excursion will be full as I'm told they fill up quickly as it's very limited in terms of # of participants...and I'm in St. Maarten with 5 other ships at the same time.