Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and four little ones

notentirelynormal

Mine we about 10 and 16 when we did this cruise 2 years ago. I was in the same place - didn't want to spend a ton on shore excursions. Many said we would not get the full experience if we didn't do a dog sled, flight etc. But I just didn't see going into debt for a few shore excursions. So, here is what we did:

Ketchican: Rode the bus to Totem Bight and the neighboring park. We loved the totem poles and this park is set on some really beautiful scenery. Take the time to walk along the water and just breathe in the air. After a bus ride back, we had lunch in town and then walked the whole area, stopping in a lot of cute shops on the wooden boardwalk. We also walked down to the eagle landing area - of course there were none there at time time - but when we pulled out of port there were 20+

Juneau: I want to say the name was Captain Marv - this is were we spent our money. It was about $500-600 for a private whale watching. This was awesome! I even got a tale fluke picture that was so clear we could identify the whale we were watching. Afterward, they dropped us at Mendehall glacier. It is amazing to see how much it has receded. And there was the biggest, fattest beaver I have EVER seen at the water's edge. EVERYTHING grows bigger in Alaska.

Skagway: this was our favorite port. It is a small quaint town - completely walkable. We got off the ship early (there were already 2 people in line in front of us) to pick up our rental car. We drive into the Yukon to see the small towns, the Carcross desert and Emerald Lake. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen - looks like it could be the set for Lord of the Rings. We stopped at the famous "trading post" there for lunch, and got to play with the sled dogs (and puppies). Its touristy because you can pan for gold, has the petting area and can do a dry (no snow) dog sled pull. Bring bug spray (again, everything grows bigger in Alaska). On the way back we saw a black bear 20' from the road, completely drunk and staggering. We were there in May just as they were waking and cramming themselves full of dandelions (to get things moving) which then ferment in their tummies. We then returned to town, had a drink and a snack in one of the former brothels, got some treats and strolled about town.

We really feel like we got a great sense of Alaska, and plan to go back - next time for Denali and Fairbanks - without spending thousands of dollars. This was the perfect plan for my family. Hope that helps.

According to their website they don't take kids under ten. When you did your private tour, how old were your girls. Mine will be 6, 8, 10, 12.

My girls were 8 and now that you mention it, I remember that coming up and Ocean Raft was fine with our group (which had four 8 year-olds). I was concerned because one of my girls is special needs and small for her age, but we kept her in an inner seat rather than on an aisle and it was fine. Email and see if your younger ones would be ok.

Best,

Mia

My girls were 8 and now that you mention it' date=' I remember that coming up and Ocean Raft was fine with our group (which had four 8 year-olds). I was concerned because one of my girls is special needs and small for her age, but we kept her in an inner seat rather than on an aisle and it was fine. Email and see if your younger ones would be ok.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Nope - 10 is their youngest age. I did ask them for recommendations for younger though. Waiting to here back.