Suggestions on what area of LA to stay/hotel recommendations

dogdoc2002

We're doing the Wine Coastal Cruise this fall on the Coral Princess, coming into LA (San Pedro) on Saturday, September 24. We're going to spend an extra day to do some tourism stuff, leaving on Sunday out of LAX at 8:40 in the morning. Thus far I can't get a great idea from my wife of what all she'd like to see/do in LA, making it so much easier to plan (NOT). She's not seen much of LA before, outside of a disaster of a trip to the Rose Bowl when I was in grad school. I've seen a small amount (Hollywood sign, Walk of Stars, etc). My original thought was to get a hotel near the airport for easy access on Sunday morning. I know there's not much by the airport, but the hop on/hop off tours appear to have a pick up in that area. I know the USS Iowa is right next to the cruise pier in San Pedro, but not sure what else we'd have to do if we stay'd there and then got a cab/shuttle/Uber in the morning to the hotel.

Anyone have thoughts on which area is best to stay for tourism purposes, as well as suggestions of things to do or places to stay?

Thanks,

Dogdoc2002

Really need to decide what you want to see and do. As an example, it makes no sense to stay near Hollywood if she wants to go to the Reagan Library.

The Greater LA area is huge. Even the tourist areas are far apart.

A short list-

Museums and zoos

Botanical gardens

Hiking trails and other outdoor sports

Old West stage coach trails

TV & Film

Beaches

Observatory

Amusement parks

Presidential libraries

Sports

Parks

Griffith Park alone has two museums, the zoo and the observatory.

Edited by SadieN

We're doing the Wine Coastal Cruise this fall on the Coral Princess, coming into LA (San Pedro) on Saturday, September 24. We're going to spend an extra day to do some tourism stuff, leaving on Sunday out of LAX at 8:40 in the morning. Thus far I can't get a great idea from my wife of what all she'd like to see/do in LA, making it so much easier to plan (NOT). She's not seen much of LA before, outside of a disaster of a trip to the Rose Bowl when I was in grad school. I've seen a small amount (Hollywood sign, Walk of Stars, etc). My original thought was to get a hotel near the airport for easy access on Sunday morning. I know there's not much by the airport, but the hop on/hop off tours appear to have a pick up in that area. I know the USS Iowa is right next to the cruise pier in San Pedro, but not sure what else we'd have to do if we stay'd there and then got a cab/shuttle/Uber in the morning to the hotel.

Anyone have thoughts on which area is best to stay for tourism purposes, as well as suggestions of things to do or places to stay?

Thanks,

Dogdoc2002

I think it starts with what is your budget for the hotel?

Santa Monica would be my first preference, but the hotels aren't cheap.

Next is you need to decide on what you want to see/do. Los Angeles is a massive area. What interests you?

The only advantages to the Hollywood area are the access to good transportation (subway, tours, HoHo bus) and less expensive hotels.

The HoHo bus at LAX is only a connector bus to the Santa Monica stops and wastes too much time in my opinion.

By September the light rail will be open, Santa Monica to Downtown LA.

You could also return to the Rose Bowl to watch UCLA and Stanfurd play football :)

Thanks,

Dogdoc2002

So, if I have this straight, your ship DISEMBARKS in Pedro on Saturday and your flight out is Sunday morning at 8:40 am?

It doesn't allow you the greatest amount of sightseeing time. And the mention of the HOHO bus and the short time makes me thing that you don't intend to rent a car, correct?

You are going to take some time getting off the ship Saturday Morning, then some more time getting your transportation and getting to a hotel wherever you stay...and checking in. So, you really have just the rest of the day and the evening...

For that night, you could almost stay anywhere--even at LAX...But, once you get back to LAX after any sort of tour, your evening is pretty much wasted as there is little around there--Doable, but not exciting...OTOH, you're right, you won't have much of a drive to the airport in the morning...If you wanted an organized tour of LA, you could also try contacting Sunseeker Tours--they do tours that pick up at the cruise pier, carry your luggage with you and drop you off at LAX--I assume they'd drop off at LAX hotels as well.

IMHO, though, the absolute best place to stay is Santa Monica...

Here's why--First, as Scott mentioned, the HOHO bus uses Santa Monica as a hub, so you are closer to things and save some time there--if that is your choice for sightseeing. Other tour companies do routine pick-ups at Santa Monica hotels--but, the fact that you are arriving there mid-morning may impact that. But here's the thing with Santa Monica...If you didn't even want to do one of those tours or HOHO, or for your time AFTER the tour, there is plenty to do in Santa Monica within easy walking distance of the prime hotels...The Third Street Promenade is a great strolling/entertainment promenade--with shops, restaurants, street performers, etc.--very popular tourist (and local) spot for cheap, easy entertainment. The Santa Monica Pier has rides, attractions, etc.--another lively spot day and night. Palisades Park ishas breathtaking Ocean views--great for a nice scenic stroll. Venice Beach Boardwalk is a quick bus or Uber drive away and is the quintessential beach promenade.

My recommended list of the best Santa Monica hotels are the Loews, Marriott Le Merigot, Shutters at the Beach, the Fairmont Miramar, Casa del Mar...The Wyndham has a great location right near one end of the Third Street Promenade and only a block or two from the Santa Monica Pier...The Huntley is well located near the other end of the Third Street Promenade... The Shangri La and the Georgian are on Ocean opposite Palisades Park. A few blocks walk away, but sometimes more amenable to the budget are the Doubletree and the Le Meridien Delfina, the latter a little less convenient.

For Sunday morning, Santa Monica puts you about 10 miles from LAX, so you need just a little extra time to get to the airport, but that early on a Sunday morning, there shouldn't be much traffic.

Another area that is nice and somewhat convenient is Marina Del Rey/Venice...just down the beach from Santa Monica and only a few minutes from LAX...Look at the Erwin, the Inn at Venice Beach, the Hilton Garden Inn, Jamaica Bay Inn...You can walk to the Venice Beach Boardwalk, take a short Uber to Downtown Santa Monica...lots of good restaurants in the area...and a short Uber ride to LAX Sunday morning...

Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...