Water Questions

nonnybyrd1

I have 2 water questions. Is distilled water available for medical equipment?

On one of the boards I saw that someone said the onboard drinking water is reverse osmosis. When I was on other Princess cruises I was told the drinking and fresh water supply on their ships was desalinated. Could both these be true?

I admit that I am a bit neurotic about the water I drink.:eek:

nonnybyrd1

On one of the boards I saw that someone said the onboard drinking water is reverse osmosis. When I was on other Princess cruises I was told the drinking and fresh water supply on their ships was desalinated. Could both these be true?

nonnybyrd1

Distilled is available for use in a C-PAP both by requesting it in the personalizer/booking and/or by asking your Stewart.

Either way he will provide it to your cabin.

Fresh water is taken onboard at the dock in many ports as well as made onboard.

Hard to say which one you will get when you turn on the tap or ask for water to drink.

The water is very good.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

nonnybyrd1

Yes distilled water is available --you preorder on the Guest Check-In section of your booking: Medical, Accessibility & Dietary Requests

No idea about the ships water but I find it very good.

You can order distilled water (no charge) through your Cruise Personalizer.

Step by step directions in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49236693&postcount=4

If you are worried about the ship's water supply you can also order bottled water through your personalizer, $6.90 including gratuity for a dozen half-liter bottles. Though whether the water will be purified or straight spring water is another variable. You can always bring your own cases of water. Or just stick to spirits for your cruise :rolleyes:

nonnybyrd1

Reverse osmosis is a method for desalinating water. So yes, both would be true. Ships do, however, also sometimes take on shore water while in port. I don't know how they process the shore water, but the water on the ships for drinking is very good.

Ship's water comes from three sources. One is bunkered in port, and this water must have been tested within the last month to meet USPH water quality standards, is chlorinated before going in the tanks, and is not used for 18-24 hours while a coliform bacteria test is done.

The second and third sources are water made onboard. The ships use a mixture of reverse osmosis watermakers and flash evaporators. The RO units work at extremely high pressures (unlike the ones in your home) to produce water with less than 20ppm sodium. The evaporators make pure distilled water, as the sea water is boiled and then condensed.

Water from all three sources will be mixed (once the test on the shore water is done) to give something less than distilled. Most cruise lines offer bottled distilled water for medical equipment, it really isn't necessary for short periods, but we used to just have the room stewards call the engine room and we would fill gallon jugs straight from the evaporator.

The issue of ship vs. distilled water comes up everytime someone asks about water for C-PAPs, etc.

I always request the distilled water from the steward, and it's always delivered after I arrive. Why worry about whether or not the ship's water is ok to use, even if only for a short time, when it's so easy to just order distilled and be done with it?