Weather for May European Cruise

jricklin

I'll be on the May 14th Carnival Vista cruise departing from Barcelona and ending in Athens, with stops in Marseilles, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Crete, Rhodes, and Izmir. Does anyone have any suggestions for packing, weather-wise? The only other cruise I've taken was in the Caribbean, and I know this will be quite different! I prefer to fly carryon only and travel light. This trip will obviously be more about walking/comfort and less about sundresses and flip flops. I guess I'm a bit unsure about the fluctuations in hot/cold based on regions. Any insight would be appreciated!

I'll be on the May 14th Carnival Vista cruise departing from Barcelona and ending in Athens, with stops in Marseilles, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Crete, Rhodes, and Izmir. Does anyone have any suggestions for packing, weather-wise? The only other cruise I've taken was in the Caribbean, and I know this will be quite different! I prefer to fly carryon only and travel light. This trip will obviously be more about walking/comfort and less about sundresses and flip flops. I guess I'm a bit unsure about the fluctuations in hot/cold based on regions. Any insight would be appreciated!

My late May Med cruise was warm. But, unseasonably so. Layers will be import and you are going to want to plan for rain and doing excursions in the rain. I'm sure you could get away with a carry on; but I think it will be difficult considering the fluctuation of Spring weather in Europe. However, you can always do laundry on the ship! Are you going to buy anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bring a rain jacket (an un-insulated, breathable shell) and a medium-weight sweater and you'll be fine.

It's entirely possible you won't need neither, but obviously it's best to be ready in case.

Edited by Dunnik

Another 5/14 cruiser here!

We did a two week Med cruise during the same weeks last year and the weather was Caribbean-esque. We had upper 70's and 80's in all of our ports (many of them the same we'll be hitting this year). I'm not sure if that's the norm for the time of year, but we only broke out (light) sweaters once.

Definitely pack sunscreen (we wore 50 and 70 and I still came back with a pretty deep tan). Light layers, a light jacket and a sweater or two should suffice.

Hope that helps!