Best snorkeling in Costa Maya

songerling

I've read through most of the posts here trying to figure out where to go with my family. We have 5 kids ages 9-18. They've never been snorkeling before and I would love to have somewhere they can see some great stuff. We don't drink and definitely aren't interested in an AI resort. From what I've read, either Blue Kay or Tropicante seem like good fits for us. It sounds like none of the beaches in Costa Maya have the crystal water and coral that my wife and I loved in Roatan, but which of the beaches has the best snorkeling off the beach? My older kids would be able to swim out to something a little further out but the younger ones would need to stick closer to shore. If anyone out there has tried both Blue Kay and Tropicante, can you say which one had better a snorkeling beach? We're definitely open to other areas as well, even if it's not along the Malecon.

I would also consider a snorkeling excursion, though definitely not through the cruise line since it's way too pricey. Anybody have experience going out with a local boat to do snorkeling? With 7 of us, we would be looking for something less expensive.

thanks!

I was at the Tropicante in January of this year and the snorkeling is not worth it. I've heard Blue Kay is better but I would suggest going to Tropicante and seeing if Steve, the owner, can set up an excursion with your family. They have them right on the beach ready to go. We were told $25 per person to bring you to a reef. Personally, I'd just chill out on the beach at Tropicante and do your snorkeling elsewhere, like Cozumel or Belize if that is part of your itinerary.

Agree with mncruizr. Blue Kay gets you a little better water and possibly some sealife, but it's not the ironshore like you see in Roatan or Belize. If Costa Maya is the only opportunity your family may have to snorkel during the cruise, seriously look at a cruise line sponsored snorkeling excursion. These excursions go north to Uvero Beach and the snorkeling there is decent. Still nothing like Roatan or the Belizean cayes. But with guides, your children will have a good instructive time.

We will also be going to Roatan and Cozumel. We were going to hit Paradise Beach in Cozumel which I understand also doesn't have great snorkeling and the kids will be mostly using the water toys and kayaks. But in Roatan the plan is to hit Tabyana / West End Beach and do some serious snorkeling. I'm sure they will be spoiled after doing that but I'm sure they'll have fun on the beach at Blue Kay as well, even if the snorkeling isn't fantastic.

Has anyone ever tried walking to Blue Kay? Google maps says it is only a 22 minute walk but I'm not sure it is valid and those are real roads. Probably would be almost as fast as waiting for a taxi and save us $20 each way. Then again, $20 would get us that much more time at the beach :)

You can walk. Might be hot. There is a pathway and some streets just outside the cruise port gates. First left and follow along back toward the ocean. Not the smoothest path, but runners have used it a lot to get a run in. I'd say 22 minutes is pushing it. 40 for average pace is more like it. Staying on the main street there's a shaded pathway in the median strip. The shoulder along the highway is gravel and somewhat wide but you still have to watch for traffic. Definitely longer this way.

We will also be going to Roatan and Cozumel. We were going to hit Paradise Beach in Cozumel which I understand also doesn't have great snorkeling and the kids will be mostly using the water toys and kayaks. But in Roatan the plan is to hit Tabyana / West End Beach and do some serious snorkeling. I'm sure they will be spoiled after doing that but I'm sure they'll have fun on the beach at Blue Kay as well, even if the snorkeling isn't fantastic.

Has anyone ever tried walking to Blue Kay? Google maps says it is only a 22 minute walk but I'm not sure it is valid and those are real roads. Probably would be almost as fast as waiting for a taxi and save us $20 each way. Then again, $20 would get us that much more time at the beach :)

I wouldn't walk it. Once you ride the tram there you will see how far it really is, and the area that you have to traverse, and be glad that you did not walk.

Thanks for the info and advice. Sounds like walking might be doable but not worth the time and hassle. I just need to remember that I've already spent thousands on this trip, so another $40 isn't a big deal :)