Pre-Cruise visit to the Everglades

Kerflop

We are ramping up for our trip on the Carnival Sensation in June. I am traveling with my lovely wife, our two kids and my parents. We will be spending an extra day in Fort Lauderdale and was looking for an activity for the group. We thought a trip to the everglades to see some gators would be fun. Can anyone suggest a company that has a good airboat tour? If they do pickups that would be great, as we don't plan on getting a car.

Thanks

We are ramping up for our trip on the Carnival Sensation in June. I am traveling with my lovely wife, our two kids and my parents. We will be spending an extra day in Fort Lauderdale and was looking for an activity for the group. We thought a trip to the everglades to see some gators would be fun. Can anyone suggest a company that has a good airboat tour? If they do pickups that would be great, as we don't plan on getting a car.

Thanks

Check out http://www.sunny.org/ways-to-play/natural-wonders/ for a info on the private Everglades parks. Just a warning - June is hot, humid and can be rainy and buggy. The best time for visiting the Everglades is during the dry (winter) season.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in doing this too but in January. What is recommended for seeing Florida Everglades? Seems to be amusement zoo type attractions and then there is the Everglades national park, or tour guides off on their own. Can some familiar with this make recommendations. Tia

I'm interested in doing this too but in January. What is recommended for seeing Florida Everglades? Seems to be amusement zoo type attractions and then there is the Everglades national park, or tour guides off on their own. Can some familiar with this make recommendations. Tia

How much time do you have?

If it is less than a full day, check out the parks with airboat rides listed in the link above.

If you have a full day and a rental car, you can visit the National Park (https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm). There are two areas/entrances close to Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Shark Valley is closest - about a 1 hour drive. It has a 15 mile loop road where you can rent bikes or take a narrated tram rides (reserve on line in advance). Alligators are often in the road and at the base of the viewing tower that gives you views over miles and miles. It is the only place where we reliably see baby alligators.

The Ernest Coe Visitors Center is slightly further away but is the entrance to Royal Palm area with a lovely path (alligators come right up on the path at times; it is amazing how many tourists treat them as if they were Disney animatronics) and boardwalk. Thirty miles further is the Flamingo Visitors Center on Florida Bay that has a back country narrated boat tour (reserve on line in advance). En route to/from the Ernest Coe Visitors Center you will pass Robert is Here (https://robertishere.com/) - a combination farm stand/petting zoo/smoothie-milkshake counter. It is well worth a stop!

Shark Valley, Royal Palm and Flamingo all have free hikes and lectures given by National Park Service personnel. Check out the website for details.

Edited by capriccio

• 2 weeks later...

We're headed to the Orlando area after we get off our cruise in FLL. Was thinking of heading up to KSC, but now thinking maybe doing Everglades instead.

I need to look at a good map - which entrance would be closest to FLL - so least amount of extra time tacked onto our trip to Orlando?

Thanks!

We're headed to the Orlando area after we get off our cruise in FLL. Was thinking of heading up to KSC, but now thinking maybe doing Everglades instead.

I need to look at a good map - which entrance would be closest to FLL - so least amount of extra time tacked onto our trip to Orlando?

Thanks!

Shark Valley would be closest entrance to Everglades National Park. You would have to head south since it's on the Tamiami Trail (route 41 exit off the Turnpike or I-95) west of Miami. https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/maps.htm

If you are heading north to Orlando you could also consider stopping at the for an airboat ride with Loxahatchee Tours (located where the Everglades and Loxahatchee Park meet. See http://www.evergladesairboattours.com/. They aren't too far off the Turnpike or I-95 - and they are in the direction of Orlando :D. We've taken many visitors there and all have enjoyed the airboat rides and the informative guides who love their jobs.

Your other alternative is to visit one of the Fort Lauderdale airboat providers listed at http://www.sunny.org. They are located mostly due west of Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades.

Thanks!

The two parks closest to Fort Lauderdale are Everglades Holiday Park and Sawgrass Recreational Park. From either park, you can then take US27 north towards Orlando, or go back east to I-595 to pick up the Turnpike.

Check out their website for directions, hours, and coupons.

Edited by brunello22