NCL Sun Disembarkation Excursion Seward

biojeep

We are disembarking on the Sun in Seward & were wondering if anyone has taken the NCL sponsored excursion for the train to Anchorage airport. Specifically we would like to know if the seating is all forward facing or table style & if the seating is in the domed car. Also are there dining options available for breakfast since it says we must leave the ship by 6am.

• 10 months later...

We are doing our search now for a trip in June 2018. I heard that NCL offers transportation to Anchorage Airport but do not know the cost. There are also bus line services and of course the train. Alaska Railroad's Adventure Class Train will cost you approx. $105pp. for a 4hr 15min trip; you can also go Goldstar service for more $. Go to the website, I found that they have answers for every question you may have. We are looking at booking a pre-cruise train trip through Canada and a post-cruise train trip to Denali and onto Fairbanks to fly out. Best wishes for your trip.

We took the train from Seward to Anchorage but it left in the afternoon so we did an Alaskan Adventure, which included dog sleds, glacier viewing with a nice hike, lunch and watching salmon run. Then we had dinner on the train. We went gold star so we had the dome car and drinks included.

Everything was booked through Alaskan Railroad cause we continued on from Anchorage to Denali and finally up to Fairbanks to catch our flight home. Was a wonderful post cruise experience. If I were doing it again I might do what @bccruiser did and reverse the trip so I get the relaxing sea days at the end, instead of all go go go in the Alaskan interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much is the NCL train from Seward to Anchorage?

Its considered a shore excursion. You would have to look at the actual trip on myncl and see what the pricing was. It was 10 to 15 dollars more per person, if I remember right, more than buying the tickets through Alaska Railroad directly. The train NCL charters is on their schedule, so look at the regularly scheduled Alaska Railroad train as well. Especially if you want time to do things in Seward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Link to Alaska RR:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

There is oh so much to read and plan your pre or post excursion land packages with NCL !

It gets more complicated with trying to fit it into flights to and from the lower 48.

In almost every case there is at least one overnight stay somewhere to connect to a flight or the ship.

The trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage takes 12 hours covers 350+ miles - trains operate both

directions leaving F to A or A to F at 8am and arriving 8pm.

At the approximate half point the train crews change trains but the passengers stay in their assigned coaches.

Alaska RR has 2 levels of fare - Coach and Gold Star - coach uses the older RR cars.

The Gold Star dome cars are the Premiere First Class accommodations.

Meal and beverage service are snacks in coach for a nominal charge.

In the Gold Star non liquor beverages are complimentary.

Gold Star Meal service is ala carte in a lower level diner beneath the dome.

When the train is full it is by reservation time arranged with the car attendant.

At the end of the train will be the Princess and Holland-America cruise company cars - the Adventure Class (white dome cars)

are the NCL contracted cars.

Depending on the land package some folks get off or board at Denali Park as part of their excursion.

Motor Coach Bus service is factored in that the train makes one trip each way daily.

If affordable the Dome Car experience is not to missed - these cars were made especially for the Alaska RR and the viewing

is awesome.

In either case with a 8pm arrival there are a limited number of red-eye flights to the lower 48 - that noted an hotel overnight stay is required to continue travel the next day.

The Fairbanks to Anchorage trains and the reverse these DO NOT CONNECT to the trains to and from Whittier and Seward

- again an overnight stay is required to continue - as for Flight connections think red-eyes or next day service.

The Whittier trip is about an hour and half with traffic thru a tunnel to get to the port.

The Seward trip is about 4 hours and 15 minutes to get to the port.

Note that NCL is now using Seward as its contracted port.

So look over what the NCL shore excursion land packages offer to see what you can combine with the train

schedule.

With a Fairbanks arrival - departure it is possible to do 5 day packages.

Anchorage could be 3 or 4 days with 1 side trip the day of sailing

I highly recommend the train if you can make it work with your travel plans. The train goes so many places that you can't see or access via the road. You won't be disappointed!

Also, if there is any sort of accident on the Seward highway, it is completely shut down until the accident is cleared. (It's the only road from Seward to Anchorage). Wait times can be up to several hours depending on the severity of the accident. Accidents are very common in the summer especially with the 2 lane mountain road. It's a beautiful drive, but drive carefully.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We were on the last trip of 2016. The train has 3 groups of passengers. Those catching flights that afternoon, those staying overnight in Anchorage and those going on to Denali. In all cases the train terminates at the airport. Those going downtown proceed by coach. Your bags are picked up the previous night and taken by road to either the airport or the hospitality centre in downtown Anchorage. On our trip many bags including one of ours were delivered to the wrong place. Each coach has an onboard attendant who gives a commentary and takes orders for snacks and cooked food. The seating is pre-assigned in tables of 4 so some people face backward but with panoramic windows and a glass dome visibility is not a problem. There is also an outside standing platform between each coach. Note that breakfast is available on the ship. From memory I think the buffet opened at 5:30 that morning and we assembled in the Stardust Theatre at 6:30. In my view this trip is worth the premium over the road transfer or the scheduled rail service.