Booking on board then moving to an Interline TA

Hi. Just wondered if anyone had done this. Booked a cruise on board in order to pay reduced deposit and get some OBC then moved to an Interline Travel Agent?? I know you can move your cruise to a 'normal' TA but just wondered if anyone had moved it to an Interline one (this is a TA that can often give discount rates for airline employees for those that aren't familiar with what an Interline TA is!) Thanks.

This is what we do, RCI doesn't mind a bit. My husband flies for a major Canadian airline that also has a travel site that gives their employees a discount on cruises.

After the first time we purchased the next cruise credits we transferred them to the travel company. I can't remember if it was the airline or cruise line that sent us the form, we just filled it in a faxed it to the airline. Now when we purchase the next cruise credit they already have our "interline carrier"

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can´t really answer your question, but you should check the fine print of the onboard booking. I have not looked into those for quite a while, but I know with other offers I´ve frequently seen the restriction in the fine print excluding interline rates.

I can´t really answer your question, but you should check the fine print of the onboard booking. I have not looked into those for quite a while, but I know with other offers I´ve frequently seen the restriction in the fine print excluding interline rates.

Yes I think I will. I know that you don't get balcony discount when you use Interline agencies. Thanks

Would you still be able to get the interline rate doing it that way?

Absolutely. Now saying this we've only used this on Air Canada's vacation site (hope I don't get in trouble for using the name!). I've not tried it on true interline sites like Dargal. We get a % off cruises, I've even called back and got the price drop.

When we first purchased the next cruise credit it seemed too good to be true but it was. We've not booked an actual cruise on board just the next cruise credits, I'm going to check and see if we still get the discount if we book on board.

Yes I think I will. I know that you don't get balcony discount when you use Interline agencies. Thanks

We have but again it's the next cruise credit. They have to call the C&A but we've always gotten the discount.

I sort of misread the OP question (it was late) about booking the actual cruise. Good point, I'll call our Airline today and ask.

Just called and if we book on board we just need to call Air Canada Vacations when we get home and they'll apply our discount. We also get any promotions the cruise line offers. Not sure if this is of any help as it will depend on your airline.

Yes, but usually the savings is much more than any balcony discount. I'm retired airline agent and I've only used interline agencies when we could travel at the last minute and they offer rock bottom fares.

But I never even thought we could use or transfer OBC's using the interline rates, they're so restrictive. If so that's great! We're planning on booking while on board Oasis next month.

That said, we're really not supposed to discuss this here;)

Sorry, I am going to take the opposing answer here. No you cannot use any other discount when using an interline rate. We work for a US carrier and their airline website does NOT give us an interline rate. The airline website is not helpful with any discounts and is just an airline thing in name only. To get a true interline rate you need to go thru an agency. At least that is the way it works with our major US carrier. And, this is not with Royal, but I believe it is Holland (sorry, my memory is poor), but the interline rate might only be a stand-by fare. You could get to the pier and be turned away. Make sure you know what you are doing with these fares. Good luck.

Sorry, I am going to take the opposing answer here. No you cannot use any other discount when using an interline rate. We work for a US carrier and their airline website does NOT give us an interline rate. The airline website is not helpful with any discounts and is just an airline thing in name only. To get a true interline rate you need to go thru an agency. At least that is the way it works with our major US carrier. And, this is not with Royal, but I believe it is Holland (sorry, my memory is poor), but the interline rate might only be a stand-by fare. You could get to the pier and be turned away. Make sure you know what you are doing with these fares. Good luck.

Clearly it depends on who you work for, as I've stated through the company my husband is with we do get special pricing and it is not standby.

We don't get any deals through my actual airline as in an Interline company that is specifically for us. I have just used Interline agents independently that are available to all airlines. They are not standby prices (like you sometimes get when flying) they are actual proper bookings so there is no chance of being turned away at the gate. I'll have to phone them to see but I think it'll be too good to be true if I can transfer my on board booking to them and save £££! We can only hope.

Thanks for all your replies.

• 4 weeks later...

With Norewegian's Cruise Next promotions we have no problem combining it with Interline rates. It's odd because in NCL's official terms and conditions it says you can't, but they just apply it a bit differently and they take it off your final price instead of counting it as your deposit. We have even been able to combine some other Cruise Next promotions and been able to apply two deposits per person with the Interline rate. I'm not sure how it is with other cruise lines but it worth a call to your favorite Interline company even if the cruise line makes it sound like it would not be combinable.