Wifi/data on Jewel of the Seas

Hi all,

My newly-wed wife and I will be going on the 9 Night Greek Isles Cruise aboard the Jewel of the Seas. I had a quick question about international data and wifi.

I am trying to figure out the best approach for staying connected on at least some of our devices (2 cell phones, 2 tablets, and possibly a laptop). Is it better to get some type of international data plan through our carriers (AT&T and Verizon) or just pay for the cruise line's wifi service?

I'm thinking I'd like to have at least one phone working when we are exploring different countries, so at the moment I'm leaning towards at least an international data plan. Do people tend to purchase the on-board wifi? Or do they just purchase an international plan through the carriers and use their phones at hot spots? Or both? Just trying to figure out the best approach.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome! Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

If you can make do with using just one device at a time, buy the one device SURF package before boarding. In the various ports, look for WiFi hotspots for any other data needs - otherwise wait till you get back to the ship for that.

Look for and practice using WiFI calling/taxing before you leave (put your phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi only - just like like you will on the ship).

One other piece of advice: put all your devices in the safe and do without them as much as possible. Look at the sites and your new bride, not your device.:cool:

Verizon has a new "travel talk " program $10 per day. It works in all ports for our May 23 cruise. You bring you regular data plan with you and use it just like at home. It does not include operation on the ship. There is a sale on the ship internet plans if you purchase before hand.

Verizon has a new "travel talk " program $10 per day. It works in all ports for our May 23 cruise. You bring you regular data plan with you and use it just like at home. It does not include operation on the ship. There is a sale on the ship internet plans if you purchase before hand.

• 1 month later...

Slow is not the word for it. We just got off Jewel after 34 days. Since we got free wi-fi for a couple days, we tried it. Couldn't get any decent speed. We have T-Mobile and an unlimited data plan. On ship, we disable roaming data and just have phone and texting at $.50 a text for communicating with our kids, or just go to airplane mode. As soon as we see land, we open up the roaming and we get 120 countries at 3G speeds gratis. You can use PDAnet to hook up your PC to phone without getting any extra charges.

Save your money and go with T-Mobile. We do many transAtlantics, Europe, Baltics, South and Central America and T-Mobile always works. No extra charges. I can view my security cameras over the cell phone and PDAnet in almost every country even with my VPN on both phone and PC so we will always stick with T-Mobile. You can always use Wi-Fi at any cafe but ensure you use a VPN. Spend the time aboard ship enjoying yourselves and being untethered.