Traveling with minor

Superdottie

I realize this is not a DCL exclusive question, but hoping for some insight.

I’ve read a few threads regarding divorced parents traveling with children. We’ll be in that situation next March for our cruise on the Wonder. From what I can find, there are no laws against taking minors out of the US (unless there’s a court order expressly prohibiting it).

We’re trying to get a passport and notarized letter from custodial parent but when the other parent isn’t interested in helping, it can be impossible. We’ll travel with an original birth certificate, and copy of divorce that shows DH shares legal custody (and looking into state ID card), but is not custodial parent (but it does indicate the children are with him on a regular schedule).

What concerns me is the mention that a passport and/or notarized letter from custodial parent, while not required, is a good idea. Why would it be necessary if it’s not required by law? Does anyone have experience with DHS or customs requiring more than the law requires?

I am always over cautious, so we’re willing to do everything we can to make this trip go smoothly, but if we can’t get passport and letter, I’m going to be stressed until we board that ship. :(

I cruised with my daughter as a single parent and a very odd looking birth certificate from age 4 until we obtained her passport at age 14 (?). I purposely delayed getting a passport for her until she reached the age where she could sign it herself and avoid all questions about the absent father.

NEVER had a problem, question, or anything. The closest anything got was a Customs officer asking her who I was when we were returning from a cruise. At the embarkation process, you won't even see a Customs or Immigration or Homeland Security person unless they have somehow flagged your file. A DCL CM will process you. And the requirement for Caribbean cruises, if this were not your child, would be that you have the minor authorization signed by ONE parent.

Yes, all the other stuff is a good safety net, but I've never been asked for anything. My suggestion--present the child's birth certificate as the only document (I'm trusting child is under 16). Don't offer anything else, don't say anything unless the CM asks. Chances are strongly in your favor that all will be fine. DO NOT get into the whole divorce decree stuff unless you are specifically asked by a US government official.

And yes, you can legally take your custodial child out of the country at will unless there is a court order against it.

Edited by moki'smommy

I cruised with my daughter as a single parent and a very odd looking birth certificate from age 4 until we obtained her passport at age 14 (?). I purposely delayed getting a passport for her until she reached the age where she could sign it herself and avoid all questions about the absent father.

NEVER had a problem' date=' question, or anything. The closest anything got was a Customs officer asking her who I was when we were returning from a cruise. At the embarkation process, you won't even see a Customs or Immigration or Homeland Security person unless they have somehow flagged your file. A DCL CM will process you. And the requirement for Caribbean cruises, if this were not your child, would be that you have the minor authorization signed by ONE parent.

Yes, all the other stuff is a good safety net, but I've never been asked for anything. My suggestion--present the child's birth certificate as the only document (I'm trusting child is under 16). Don't offer anything else, don't say anything unless the CM asks. Chances are strongly in your favor that all will be fine. DO NOT get into the whole divorce decree stuff unless you are specifically asked by a US government official.

And yes, you can legally take your custodial child out of the country at will unless there is a court order against it.[/quote']

Your response lessened my stress considerably, thank you.

When DH and I boarded the Wonder in San Juan a very official looking person checked our passports before we entered the terminal. I thought it was DHS. But maybe not? March trip is from PC.

I once traveled with my 2 children on a DCL cruise without my husband. When we checked in, I simply passed over the kids' ID and filled out the paperwork. No one asked me any out of the ordinary questions. I don't think it is unusual for children to take a Disney cruise with only one parent.

It is not my place to pry into why you are not the mother on the birth certificate, but are obviously the custodial parent.....but if there are any legal documents that relate to that situation, I'd take them along as well.

I adopted my daughter, and the result is that her birth certificate is "odd" to say the least. It has more blank spaces on it than those filled in. But it does list me as mother, even though we all know that isn't true in the biological sense. Still, no one has ever questioned anything.

I'm the step-mom, and my DH is the non-custodial parent - sharing legal custody.

I'd get a letter from DH explaining the situation and giving you permission to take them out of the country and to sign for any medical issues. I'd also do the "Minor Authorization form" with him signing it, just to be safe.

If I am reading this correctly, you are not legally related to the children. I'm not trying to be ugly, and you could be every bit as much a functional mother as if you were the biological mother...but that's not what officials care about.

The "minor authorization form" requires only one signature from a parent. This would cover you and eliminate any disappointment at the port.

Last name differences and miss matches are one of the red flags for child trafficking. So, being able to show the chain of legal custody, when asked, eliminates a lot of questioning.

It sounds like your husband who has shared custody is not going on the trip with you. If you are not listed as a biological parent, you will need something to show how you obtained legal custody. Does the birth certification show your husband as the father? If so, then a copy of your marriage certificate should work. If not, then you will also need something showing how your husband obtained custody.

For the closed loop cruises, you don't have as much scrutiny as when flying or driving across boarders.

Passport is going to have in case anything happens and you need to fly home.

oooo, I was reading it more like a Jerry Springer show with multiple divorces and such going on.

So, if your husband and also the father listed on the birth certificate is going, then you shouldn't have problems. Especially if you took your husbands last name.

A copy of the divorce showing he has shared custody should be all that would be needed to answer the Customs questions.

Having the child's birth certificate showing your husband as the father will satisfy the DCL cast member and not shoot up and legal red flags.

oooo, I was reading it more like a Jerry Springer show with multiple divorces and such going on.

So, if your husband and also the father listed on the birth certificate is going, then you shouldn't have problems. Especially if you took your husbands last name.

A copy of the divorce showing he has shared custody should be all that would be needed to answer the Customs questions.

Having the child's birth certificate showing your husband as the father will satisfy the DCL cast member and not shoot up and legal red flags.

Hahaha! Jerry Springer - NO!

If your husband, who is the father of the child(ren) is going to be checking in with you, there is no problem at all. No special requirements, no worries at all.

Sorry, I was reading this that you were taking the children without the father...