Anthem April 30 to Bermuda Review

Just got off Anthem on Thursday. Here are my thoughts...

Embarkation was a breeze. Got to the port around 10:15 and on the ship by 11:15. This was with the email the day before stating there was going to be a coastguard inspection and not to get there until 11:30. Clearly we didn't pay attention to that lol :o Parking at the port was great...this is the first time we've parked there since they added the garage.

We sailed with good friends of ours who haven't cruised in over 30 years. They were very impressed with everything. We, however, weren't. We had balcony cabins next to each other on deck 7. Cabins were very spacious and had lots of storage options. We had some issues on day 1 when we met our steward. He clearly didn't want to honor my requests for daily ice and extra towels. He informed me that I should empty the mini bar and put my water in there instead of in an ice bucket. And told me he would give me 2 towels at a time, twice a day. He didn't seem to get that I wanted 3 at a time. On day 1, water was gushing out of the side of the toilet. It was random, not after we flushed. When I told the cabin steward about it, he told me that was normal. Seriously? In over 20 cruises I've never ever seen that happen. Fortunately there's a drain in the floor right next to the toilet, so the water drained right away and didn't flood the cabin. I talked to guest services about these issues, and our steward was much friendlier after that and did give us what we requested. And no more toilet problems.

We had early Classic DD and our server was awesome! We enjoyed all of the restaurants, but my least favorite was American Icon. Food was ok to good every night...nothing outstanding but no one starved, that's for sure.

Shows: I really liked We Will Rock You, but it was very long with no intermission. The Gift was not our taste and we had trouble following the story line. I didn't see Spectra's Cabaret, but our friends did, and they said it was awful. Our headliner was Mosaic and they were awesome. We saw them on Navigator and loved them, so we were pleasantly surprised that they were on our sailing. Comedian Carl Banks was also very good.

We were disappointed that there were absolutely no activities by the pool during the day, no Quest, no Battle of the Sexes...basically no activities that required guest participation. :rolleyes: They never showed anything on the big screen during the day...no movies, no TV land shows, no cruise director morning show...nothing at all except the fake fish floating in bubbles lol

Bumper cars were fun, went on North Star twice...once in Bayonne and once in Bermuda...that was fun. Had trouble signing up for the Puzzle Break, but we managed to get in on the last day and that was alot of fun...we got out with 5 minutes to spare. :D

The cruise director was Dru Pavlov. He was ok but we hardly saw him. He introduced the shows each night, but that was about it. The piano player in the Schooner Bar was pretty awful, as was the Latino band in Boleros. Both were a disappointment.

We stayed on the ship in Bermuda except to shop at the port since we have been there many times. Our friends took the bus to Horseshoe Bay and enjoyed that.

Disembarking was painless. We were off the ship and in our car a little after 9...home by 10. (we had number 20 luggage tags)

We had a great time because we were with great friends and just went with the flow. But for a brand new ship, I think they have a lot they could improve upon. You would think the newest ship would have the best staff...not so at all. Even the guest services staff was borderline rude...clearly they did not want to be there.

Happy to answer any questions :D

Just got off Anthem on Thursday. Here are my thoughts...

Embarkation was a breeze. Got to the port around 10:15 and on the ship by 11:15. This was with the email the day before stating there was going to be a coastguard inspection and not to get there until 11:30. Clearly we didn't pay attention to that lol :o Parking at the port was great...this is the first time we've parked there since they added the garage.

We sailed with good friends of ours who haven't cruised in over 30 years. They were very impressed with everything. We, however, weren't. We had balcony cabins next to each other on deck 7. Cabins were very spacious and had lots of storage options. We had some issues on day 1 when we met our steward. He clearly didn't want to honor my requests for daily ice and extra towels. He informed me that I should empty the mini bar and put my water in there instead of in an ice bucket. And told me he would give me 2 towels at a time, twice a day. He didn't seem to get that I wanted 3 at a time. On day 1, water was gushing out of the side of the toilet. It was random, not after we flushed. When I told the cabin steward about it, he told me that was normal. Seriously? In over 20 cruises I've never ever seen that happen. Fortunately there's a drain in the floor right next to the toilet, so the water drained right away and didn't flood the cabin. I talked to guest services about these issues, and our steward was much friendlier after that and did give us what we requested. And no more toilet problems.

We had early Classic DD and our server was awesome! We enjoyed all of the restaurants, but my least favorite was American Icon. Food was ok to good every night...nothing outstanding but no one starved, that's for sure.

Shows: I really liked We Will Rock You, but it was very long with no intermission. The Gift was not our taste and we had trouble following the story line. I didn't see Spectra's Cabaret, but our friends did, and they said it was awful. Our headliner was Mosaic and they were awesome. We saw them on Navigator and loved them, so we were pleasantly surprised that they were on our sailing. Comedian Carl Banks was also very good.

We were disappointed that there were absolutely no activities by the pool during the day, no Quest, no Battle of the Sexes...basically no activities that required guest participation. :rolleyes: They never showed anything on the big screen during the day...no movies, no TV land shows, no cruise director morning show...nothing at all except the fake fish floating in bubbles lol

Bumper cars were fun, went on North Star twice...once in Bayonne and once in Bermuda...that was fun. Had trouble signing up for the Puzzle Break, but we managed to get in on the last day and that was alot of fun...we got out with 5 minutes to spare. :D

The cruise director was Dru Pavlov. He was ok but we hardly saw him. He introduced the shows each night, but that was about it. The piano player in the Schooner Bar was pretty awful, as was the Latino band in Boleros. Both were a disappointment.

We stayed on the ship in Bermuda except to shop at the port since we have been there many times. Our friends took the bus to Horseshoe Bay and enjoyed that.

Disembarking was painless. We were off the ship and in our car a little after 9...home by 10. (we had number 20 luggage tags)

We had a great time because we were with great friends and just went with the flow. But for a brand new ship, I think they have a lot they could improve upon. You would think the newest ship would have the best staff...not so at all. Even the guest services staff was borderline rude...clearly they did not want to be there.

Happy to answer any questions :D

Dru didn't do a morning show daily on the TV???

Hi, was also on the 5 day Bermuda Cruise, no time for a review right now, but

one sore point with me was the seating at the Music Hall. Who ever was the designer of

that space should be fired. The place seats about 500 people , but only about 100 of the seats you can actually see the stage. If your set on seeing a show there, plan on getting there an hour or more early. Enjoyed Bermuda, some of the most beautiful beaches I've seen anywhere.

Tom

Hi, was also on the 5 day Bermuda Cruise, no time for a review right now, but

one sore point with me was the seating at the Music Hall. Who ever was the designer of

that space should be fired. The place seats about 500 people , but only about 100 of the seats you can actually see the stage. If your set on seeing a show there, plan on getting there an hour or more early. Enjoyed Bermuda, some of the most beautiful beaches I've seen anywhere.

Tom

Thanks for the tip on music hall.

We are currently on the 9 Night cruise and there is a morning show every day. Battle of the sexes has been played 2 or 3 times so far. It's been done in the schooner bar.

Every staff member that I have encountered so far has been friendly and polite. Service outstanding.

Have classic dining and we have been rotating to the 4 restaurants without any problems.

We had torrential rain in Bermuda but made the best of the day.

Having a great time - no complaints here!