Klondike gold fields-Skagway

shutuph

Has anyone visited here? I wondered about the cost of the tours for the dredge and the Sled dogs. Any opinions if we should forgo Caribou crossings to stop here. Is the Sled dog tour better then just being able to see the puppies at Caribou crossing. I noticed they want you to book through the cruiseline however we are renting a Green Jeep-will they allow us to not book with the cruiseline? Any idea of cost, I have an email in to them but have not heard back yet.

Thanks

Edited by shutuph

Finally got an email response:

Here are the tours we offer for independent cruisers by adult/child rates (under 12).

1. Gold Panning - 1 Hour - $30.00/$25.00

2. Sled Dog Demonstration & 40 Below Experience - 1.25 Hours - $50.00/$45.00

3. The Big Nugget (all on-site attractions) - 4.5 Hours - $100.00/$90.00

*This tour includes all of the above as well as a tour of the dredge, brewery tour, and Alaskan BBQ lunch

Please let me know if there’s anything else you need and have a terrific day.

Eitan Morse

General Manager

Klondike Gold Fields

Skagway, Alaska

907-973-2027

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the update! Any chance they mentioned if they had transportation?

No, Caribou Crossing is 75 miles from Skagway. Chilkoot Charters includes this stop, and you can drive there. 2 car rental vendors in Skagway.

It's a simple stop that needs no "planning", you can just drive up and include the "tours" you are interested in. The "meal" is pretty basic and not my preference. :)

Has anyone visited here? I wondered about the cost of the tours for the dredge and the Sled dogs. Any opinions if we should forgo Caribou crossings to stop here. Is the Sled dog tour better then just being able to see the puppies at Caribou crossing. I noticed they want you to book through the cruiseline however we are renting a Green Jeep-will they allow us to not book with the cruiseline? Any idea of cost, I have an email in to them but have not heard back yet.

Thanks

There are no "gold fields" anywhere for the cruise ship visitor. The gold was in Dawson. :)

• 4 weeks later...

shutuph, we're doing exactly the same thing in July! After the 8:15 am Glacier Discovery helicopter excursion, we're grabbing lunch to go from Glacier Smoothies, picking up a (already reserved) Green Jeep and will be Yukon bound. Plan to use Murray's Guide to drive to Emerald Lake and back. We'll get our gold panning/huskie puppy fix at Caribou Crossing Trading Post for a lot cheaper per person. I have no desire to pay big bucks to stand in a meat freezer. The only drawback is hubby loves to watch Gold Rush and wants to do the dredge tour. Might stop by on the way back just to let him do that if we have time.

Edited by hokiecruise4

There are no "gold fields" anywhere for the cruise ship visitor. The gold was in Dawson. :)

Exactly.

FWIW, years ago I visited a friend who was placer mining on the Eldorado Creek up the Klondike Valley from Dawson. Holy c**p, talk about gold fever!

Klondike Valley from the air - 100 years of tailings.

klondikeaerials.jpg

Results of one kitchen spatula of concentrate after (partial) panning.

1124%20001s.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update- we did Klondike Gold Fields last week and it was wonderful! I tried calling to ask questions but never got an answer. We ended up just taking smart bus ($5 each runs every 30 min) and they brought us right there. We did sled dog presentation (offered a few times the day we were there) and panning for gold. It ended up being a highlight of our trip and the first thing my boys talk about when asked about our trip!!

Edited by kt6453

Just wanted to update- we did Klondike Gold Fields last week and it was wonderful! I tried calling to ask questions but never got an answer. We ended up just taking smart bus ($5 each runs every 30 min) and they brought us right there. We did sled dog presentation (offered a few times the day we were there) and panning for gold. It ended up being a highlight of our trip and the first thing my boys talk about when asked about our trip!!

Can you tell me the cost for the dog sled presentation and do you happen to remember the cost for the dredge tour. I am interested in separate as my husband and I may do different tours for the sake of time and money.

Thanks

I'm not sure... There were all these different packages.... I had better luck emailing than calling but really just had to show up. Sorry but there just weren't really listed prices!