A little confused about gratuities

We have booked a balcony stateroom on Oasis OTS Feb 19th. Originally, we were given the free gratuities. I've been checking daily and managed to get a slightly better price so we lost the gratuities but still cheaper.

Anyway, while I have been doing fake bookings, I looked at the option to prepay gratuities. When you bring that up, it says that it is $17.44 per person/per day. That seems pretty high for an oceanview balcony stateroom? Especially since when we were given the free gratuities, we were credited $190.00 ($95 each) instead of $244.22 which is showing on their website.

I want to add the gratuities to my booking, just.....what is it I *should* be charged?

As I said, I'm confused :confused:

We have booked a balcony stateroom on Oasis OTS Feb 19th. Originally, we were given the free gratuities. I've been checking daily and managed to get a slightly better price so we lost the gratuities but still cheaper.

Anyway, while I have been doing fake bookings, I looked at the option to prepay gratuities. When you bring that up, it says that it is $17.44 per person/per day. That seems pretty high for an oceanview balcony stateroom? Especially since when we were given the free gratuities, we were credited $190.00 ($95 each) instead of $244.22 which is showing on their website.

I want to add the gratuities to my booking, just.....what is it I *should* be charged?

As I said, I'm confused :confused:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5523&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqType=faq

It may an exchange issue. Are you perhaps paying in Canadian dollars? We just booked in Canadian and that is also what showed up per day (for an Interior). I believe in U.S. dollars they charge $13.50 per day.

The amount credited to you earlier for the free gratuities would probably have been in U.S. dollars. I hope this explains it. It works in my head anyway. LOL!

Edited by Tiggerontheseas

Thanks for the responses!!

Yes, I am booking from Canada. It never crossed my mind that I was comparing US to Cdn. Makes perfect sense to me now ANNNDDD I feel silly.

Thanks again :)

Yes, I am booking from Canada. It never crossed my mind that I was comparing US to Cdn. Makes perfect sense to me now ANNNDDD I feel silly.

Don't feel silly! Doesn't it feel good when the fog lifts? ;) :D

You're very welcome! Don't feel silly. Currency exchange is evil! Unless you're converting US to CAN and then I guess it's pretty great. :)

That per person per day figure covers: cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter. It's probably less than you'd pay if you were staying in a hotel (you do tip the housekeeper, don't you??) for a week and tipping at restaurants for 3 meals a day!

Yes, I am aware of what it covers and had planned to prepay regardless. It was the huge difference in price that had me confused. Nowhere did I say I wasn't going to pay it?

You're very welcome! Don't feel silly. Currency exchange is evil! Unless you're converting US to CAN and then I guess it's pretty great. :)

It *is* pretty great going US to Cdn!! Sadly, that is rarely the case :(

Unless you're converting US to CAN and then I guess it's pretty great. :)

Now it's good. But it wasn't always like that. For our honeymoon in '03 it was nice, but shortly after our son arrived in '04 and we wanted to go to Canada again, it wasn't so nice! And it stayed un-nice for quite awhile.