Bike tours in Rome?

Pjbstamper

There may well be bike tours in Rome proper, but I can't recall hearing of any. From time to time people have mentioned doing the Segway tours. The problem I'd have with either of these is figuring out where they could safely go. The streets in the Centro Storico are hazardous at best -- narrow, cobbled, and clogged with traffic. And not just cars, the scooters zip in and out of traffic and are a real danger.

(And don't think of using the sidewalks -- they are FULL of pedestrians.)

I know it is popular with both tourists and locals to bicycle on the Via Appia, especially on Sundays when there is limited car and bus traffic allowed.

Edited by cruisemom42

I'm with cruisemom. I will also say that I never seen packs of cyclists around the tourist sites of Rome in all my visits. They sure seem that they are hard streets/roads to go on - all those cobbles and all those cars and trucks and tour vans and tour busses:eek: I'd be afraid that someone in one of those private tour minivans would be so target-focused on getting out to see the Trevi Fountain for 2 minutes that he would throw open the van door without looking!!! Wait - that actually happened to me when I was walking ;)

I know that traffic can be crazy, so I figured scooter tours and/or rentals were out of the question. But Top Bike Tours & Rentals is #3 on TripAdvisor's list of top 30 tour companies. Plus, I found a site with a map of bike routes and paths in Rome. So, I was hoping someone had some experience with bike tours and could give me an idea of the safety issues, etc involved.

I am so with the other posters. In the heart of Rome it can be times be dangerous enough at times just crossing a busy intersection. The city, unlike say Copenhagen or Amsterdam, , is not bike friendly. Now next month we are venturing to the Apian Way on "car free" Sunday" to walk but I understand many rent bikes and ride there.

Thanks for all the comments! Guess I'll just have to hope that good shoes and pain relievers will help with my plantar fasciitis.

Remember to bring your Theraband to do some daily PT for your PF!!! It will help!

Check out Top Bike Rental. http://www.topbikerental.com/nuovosito/eng/index.php

We took their Ancient Appian Way tour and really enjoyed it!

Thx for posting what the op was looking for. I too was wondering about biking, I personally think this could be a great way to see Rome. We r renting bikes in London an Paris also, pre and post cruise. Infact i read in London it's faster getting arround on a bike then vehicle, and is encouraged. With all the walking we will do on a this cruise, it will b nice to mix it up, with some time on a bike.

Remember to bring your Theraband to do some daily PT for your PF!!! It will help!

All I know about PT for PF is to do stretches for my calves - kind of a short lunge with both knees bent for 30 seconds and then the back knee straight for another 30. Guess I should see about an appointment with the PT I saw for a back problem.

All I know about PT for PF is to do stretches for my calves - kind of a short lunge with both knees bent for 30 seconds and then the back knee straight for another 30. Guess I should see about an appointment with the PT I saw for a back problem.

The Theraband is good as a traveling tool for many PT modalities. For my occasional PF flareups, I will sit on the floor with my legs straight out. Put the Theraband around the top of my foot and pull it toward me, stretching the foot back. Your PT probably has rolls of the different strengths of Theraband and should be able to cut you one. Weighs nothing, rolls up small or you can just lay it flat.

The Theraband is good as a traveling tool for many PT modalities. For my occasional PF flareups, I will sit on the floor with my legs straight out. Put the Theraband around the top of my foot and pull it toward me, stretching the foot back. Your PT probably has rolls of the different strengths of Theraband and should be able to cut you one. Weighs nothing, rolls up small or you can just lay it flat.

I already have a Theraband so thanks for the info!

I already have a Theraband so thanks for the info!

My pleasure. There are so many things one can do with that TB to stretch things out pre/post activity. It also makes for easy in-room exercising when I'm traveling.