Question RE: Dining on the Spirit

lgoch

I will be on the Spirit in September and have received the 5 day SDP promotion. I was searching for the menus on this thread but have only found older ones without prices on them. It is my understanding that the specialty restaurants are all a la carte pricing now, except for Teppanyaki which is a set price.

What I am trying to figure out is if we should use one of our 5 SD credits for the Teppanyaki restaurant or just pay the set fee with our OBC and use all 5 for the a la carte restaurants - which I assume would be more expensive if we wanted to go to any of them more than the 5 days included in our dining package.

Perhaps a simpler way of putting it - is it safe to assume that the a la carte pricing would be more than the set price at Teppanyaki? If so, it makes sense to me to pay for Teppanyaki and only use the SDP for the a la cartes.

I am not sure how clear I was on this but I appreciate any advice you all might have! Thanks.

It would really depend on what and how much you plan to eat at the various restaurants. If it were me I would book my five nights amongst the various specialties and save the other two nights for formal nights or to just try out the buffet once and the mdr.

I don't expect you will find much savings trying to pick and choose what you order. I specifically bought a dining package on my last cruise (I had free UBP, DSC and OBC) just so I didn't have to worry about the a la carte packages.

Enjoy your cruise!

The average meals from Cagneys, etc are not that much more than Teppanyaki. Whatever you decide make your res for Tepp asap as it is really small on the Spirit and books fast! The other restaurants as well. Don't forget to eat at Shanghai- adjacent to Tepp, which is complimentary and has a large menu of asian foods from apps-desserts and the food is excellent!! We are there 2 nights for dinner. YOu cannot reserve that though.

As others have said, for the other two nights go to someplace else - buffet, mdr, or the free Asian restaurant. For our trip, Teppanyaki was never available to book before getting on the ship.

What I am trying to figure out is if we should use one of our 5 SD credits for the Teppanyaki restaurant or just pay the set fee with our OBC and use all 5 for the a la carte restaurants - which I assume would be more expensive if we wanted to go to any of them more than the 5 days included in our dining package.

It would be more expensive (total cost) at an a la carte restaurant (see below) if you eat a lot.

WARNING: If you want to eat at the Teppanyaki restaurant, be prepared to book it online at 12:01 am ET 90 days prior to your cruise. The Spirit has one 10-top Teppanyaki table. They only do 3 services a night (30 people total per day).

Spirit Menus - April 2016

eec03a79cf8e04774da66bf3840f1a08.jpg

c3ec0303da9d284febd03d26c62e4ad1.jpg

794257d4898b4615fac1e1b02d87d2d1.jpg300cdb3dabe6073a5398dbdafca13a00.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

Hi, just off the Spirit and we too had the 5 day package. We used one of our nights for Teppanyaki. Based on the tickets I had to sign (which were zeroed out for each member of our party) we would have spent upwards of $30 for each of our other meals. We each ordered 1-2 appetizers (O.K. sometimes 3!), 1 entree and 1 dessert each night.

Frankly, I thought the specialties were just O.K. on this cruise (except for the travesty when Cagney's overcooked the 32 oz. porterhouse and made it inedible then undercooked the replacement to the point our carnivore son couldn't even eat it :eek:) but the food in the MDR's was really, really good! Like surprisingly good.

It would be more expensive (total cost) at an a la carte restaurant (see below) if you eat a lot.

WARNING: If you want to eat at the Teppanyaki restaurant, be prepared to book it online at 12:01 am ET 90 days prior to your cruise. The Spirit has one 10-top Teppanyaki table. They only do 3 services a night (30 people total per day).

You aren't allowed to pre-book Teppanyaki on the Spirit, at least not on my cruise. With the small area the only way I think we got in was because we were in a penthouse suite. I could miss it next time, it is probably a treat for anyone without a hibachi restaurant nearby, but my local ones are better.

Edited by vicocala

Hi, just off the Spirit and we too had the 5 day package. We used one of our nights for Teppanyaki. Based on the tickets I had to sign (which were zeroed out for each member of our party) we would have spent upwards of $30 for each of our other meals. We each ordered 1-2 appetizers (O.K. sometimes 3!), 1 entree and 1 dessert each night.

Frankly, I thought the specialties were just O.K. on this cruise (except for the travesty when Cagney's overcooked the 32 oz. porterhouse and made it inedible then undercooked the replacement to the point our carnivore son couldn't even eat it :eek:) but the food in the MDR's was really, really good! Like surprisingly good.

Cardbucfan, were you able to make a reservation for the Teppanyaki before the cruise? If not, was it difficult for you to get a reservation on board?

Great to hear the MDR was really good as we are on the Sprit for 12 nights so we will have plenty of time to eat there.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Special thanks to BirdTravels for posting the menus. That was exactly what I was hoping to see!

Thanks for the menus. I can now see I have made more of an error of judgment than normal.

I have pre-paid for the full 12 night SDP as I am so used to buying UDP for the past few cruises, that at the time I purchased the SDP I didn't realise all these a la carte changes since my last cruise, last year.

I can now see there is very little chance I will get my money's worth as I'm a fussy eater, i tend to find I don't eat a full 3 courses on any menu and those have proven it, and I doub't I will get my moneys worth this time.

Does anyone know if I can cancel my SDP completely, as I think I may be better playing it by ear each night with the MDR menu and then going a la carte if nothing?

Cardbucfan, were you able to make a reservation for the Teppanyaki before the cruise? If not, was it difficult for you to get a reservation on board?

Great to hear the MDR was really good as we are on the Sprit for 12 nights so we will have plenty of time to eat there.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Special thanks to BirdTravels for posting the menus. That was exactly what I was hoping to see!

I'm on the May 31st sailing, and was able to prebook our Teppanyaki when they opened the dining reservations.

Yes, the Spirit. Grand Mediterranean 12 night cruise leaving next Tuesday from Barcelona.

Thanks for clarifying. :o I had been told they don't do it. Perhaps since it is a longer cruise they felt they could swing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just called NCL and supposedly they only open up 30% of the restaurants capacity to book online. They told me I had to book it when I got on board. Only problem with that is we will be touring Venice for the day and won't be getting on board very early. Hopefully the reservations won't all be gone when we get on board or perhaps there will be a cancellation at some point. This was the one restaurant my daughter really wanted to go to.