For Those Who Have Sailed Gem and Breakaway

Maraprince

For those of you that have sailed both the Gem and the Breakaway (which we are considering for late November) is it normal to have so many family activities scheduled throughout the day and evening? I thought that the kids had their own activities separate from the adults since they normally would be enrolled in the various day camps depending on their ages. We just returned from the 5/7 sailing on the Gem and even considered "borrowing" someone's child to participate in the family activities!

We would meet and chat with other passengers and then never run into them again. The Gem seemed to have lots of family groups and other large groups. We were never asked if we wanted to sit with others in the dining rooms in the evening. We took tours in all the ports but did see the same passengers on any of our tours. If I were traveling solo I would hesitate to do so since I have seen posts on the NCL board that if you were solo, that is how you were seated at dinner.

Also, are there more activities on the Breakaway for adults such as late night shows, dancing indoors or on deck (not referring to those geared to the 20-year olds)? Carnival seemed to have a lot more to do in the evenings for adults that included both indoor and outdoor activities, late night comedy shows, movies, etc. My cousin especially missed being able to dance. If it were not for the various performers outside of Le Bistro we have had anything to do after eating dinner and attending the shows in the main showroom! Some passengers tried to dance, but the space was so small. We were lucky to find seats sometimes on the side in the windows. You would think due to the large attendance by passengers they would have assigned a specific lounge in which you could dance and had adequate seating. Having passengers constantly passing by, stopping to watch, and speaking very loudly was distracting and disrespectful to the performers. The build up about "White Hot Nights" party was a big let down. The room was way too small to begin with. Passengers rushed to the dance floor that was so crowded that the dancers could only jump up and down. People were standing all over and the small amount of security personnel in attendance was inadequate to handle any disturbance. There was no place to stand/sit. We stayed all of 15 minutes and left as other disappointed passengers did the same. Our lackluster experience on the Gem is making us hesitate about the Breakaway who pricing is very high.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

I agree, the breakaway has a lot more to do at night and if that's what you are looking for a much better choice. Having that said, we enjoy the Gem over the BA because its sometimes very hit and miss. Much of the activity that's out of the specialty clubs is done in the atrium on the BA and it often get overwhelmed with people as its the focal point of the ship.

We also never had the "pleasure" of sailing with 800 kids which is often the case during the summer or school breaks. My understanding is it makes for a very crowded vacation.

BA def has more to do at night. There is the Jazz Club (with dancing ), or in the Comedy Club either Second City or Dueling pianos (can't think of name) Howl @ the moon?. Dancing at dinner in Manhattan main dining room.

Atrium is very small for events, and show Rock of Ages is great (not recommended for children )