Home from the Jewel to Alaska

ctbrown24

Hi- We're sailing July 9th. interested in reading your review. Quick question-there used to be a hypnotist entertainer Brenda Kaye on the Jewel a couple years ago. Is she there on the Alaska Jewel sailings? thanks.

Didn't see her onboard. They had a comedian (Andrew) and comedy/magic (JP).

Hi- We're sailing July 9th. interested in reading your review. Quick question-there used to be a hypnotist entertainer Brenda Kaye on the Jewel a couple years ago. Is she there on the Alaska Jewel sailings? thanks.

As of a couple of weeks ago Brenda Kaye was on The Escape.

Unfortunately Sawyer Glacier was cancelled on our run because of a field of ice that was blocking the way. Instead, we went through the Endicott Arm and saw the Dawes glacier, which was still great! I'd guess we were maybe 150 yards from the glacier.

Cool.....so close enough to see it calving?

Edited by Tinknock50

Yes, but we didn't see any. There was plenty of ice in the water. Was fun watching the ship inch through all of the chunks.

Where were you positioned to get a good view?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where were you positioned to get a good view?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had a forward facing and starboard balcony. We were on the forward facing as we went through the fjords and to see the arrival to the glacier. They opened the very front of the ship as well for all guests. It was sprinkling a bit, so there weren't a ton of people out there, but it was definitely the best view. The captain spun the ship a couple times.

Here is my dilemma. I am booked on the Tracey Arm Explorer in order to get close to Sawyer Glacier to see calving. But if we go Dawes instead, that seems like wasted money.

So my main question is how much before do they make the decision to go to Dawes instead of Sawyer? Earlier enough to cancel the excursion?

Actually I would be happy to see Dawes because I have seen Sawyer at least 3 times and have never been in Endicott Arm.

Here is my dilemma. I am booked on the Tracey Arm Explorer in order to get close to Sawyer Glacier to see calving. But if we go Dawes instead, that seems like wasted money.

So my main question is how much before do they make the decision to go to Dawes instead of Sawyer? Earlier enough to cancel the excursion?

Actually I would be happy to see Dawes because I have seen Sawyer at least 3 times and have never been in Endicott Arm.

Decisions are made pretty much last minute depending on weather conditions and advice from the Forest Service personnel on board.

Decisions are made pretty much last minute depending on weather conditions and advice from the Forest Service personnel on board.

Yeah, that sounds like how it must work.

Second question.....does the Tracey Arm Explorer go to Sawyer even if the ship can't?

We were told of the change the night before.

I was very happy with the Endicott Arm, although I had nothing to compare it to.