Sea Sick Patches for Seniors

Haroldnca

She'll make you? For heaven's sake, you'e an adult, aren't you? And so is your mother.

Do you go to every doctor's appointment with her?

I guess she's been playing that card all your life.

Is it just the two of you going? If not, let her make an adult choice. 1. go to the doctor and get something for seasickness. or 2. Come on the cruise and feel seasick if the sea is rough. or 3.Choose not to come on the cruise.

If you really, truly want her to come on this cruise, she's not going to change her tactics now, so you'll have to make the appointment for her and go with her. No responsible doctor will prescribe for her if she isn't there.

No need to get snippy I was just pointing out what my mother would do and why OP may be handling it for her Mother. I am not the one who made this post, I am not cruising with my Mother.

Or it could be her Mom needs some assistance or maybe her Mom just asked for her help.

Edited by poobears

• 8 months later...

My friend and I recently took another friend (age 76) on her first cruise. I can't begin to tell you how much we planned, looked forward to this vacation. Her doctor prescribed the patch, we had never used it and knew nothing about it. Our cruise was a nightmare.

On day two she began acting strangely (hallucinations, delusional, not able to sleep and m0re.) We had no clue what was wrong and just did our best to take of her. There were times she seemed okay, but then it got progressively worse. We finally took her to medical and in the waiting area there was a sign that said they did not carry the patch and did not recommend it's use. There were listed 27 possible side effects, our friend had exhibited many of them.

The nurse immediately removed the patch (I actually thought she was going to start crying when we told her our friend was using the patch). The doctor questioned the three of us, gave her an exam and said he was 99 percent sure the patch was the problem.

Security was called in. They disabled our balcony door so it could not be opened, they said we were free to move about the ship but needed to stay with her and recommended we avoid outside areas. They also posted someone outside our door all night in case our friend got up and we didn't hear her.

The next morning ( Debarkation day and after our first good night's sleep all week) she was like a new person, not 100 percent herself but getting there.

Please, please anyone reading this be very careful about using the patch.

We have been warning here for years, about the potential side effects of the Transderm Scop patch. You will seldom find a cruise ship physician who prescribes these items onboard, and many (if not all) can relay stories of the side effects. We have a friend who used to work (part time) as a physician on HAL, and he had our table (at dinner) in hysterics with some of the tales. His classic tale involved an senior lady who was found wandering the corridors, late one night, totally nude!

DW and I have both used the patch in years past and both of us suffered mild side effects (dry mouth and blurred vision making reading impossible). But we know others who have no issues. Personally, having spent over 3 years on cruise ships, we will stick to Meclizine Hcl (Bonine or Dramamine No Drowsy Formula) if we feel the need for any med. Meclizine is the drug of choice for nearly all cruise line physicians and is usually offered for free or for sale in the shops...on most ships. It is available OTC in most USA pharmacies.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am 69 and never worried about seasickness! I used peaches years ago and decided to see if I could go without them! Honestly, the ship has stabilizers and never had a problem. You could buy Dramamine tablets if you need it. Good luck! This is my 30th cruise and it has been good travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums