Best time to buy H2o/wine/soda?

LeopardGirl2

CB awaits us 8 more days! Should we pack our beverages preflight in our rolling cooler, or wait until we land in FLL? Are the cab drivers fine with stopping at a local store before taking us to the port? Do you both go into the store, or does one stay with the cab and the luggage? What should we expect to pay the driver for this detour?

Based on the cab's meter rate running while one goes into store selects items and stands in a possible long and slow line that your expected savings will quickly disappear.

In a nut shell the cab's meter fare could be greater than the difference between buying your beverages aboard ship vs a local store.

Something to consider.

CB awaits us 8 more days! Should we pack our beverages preflight in our rolling cooler, or wait until we land in FLL? Are the cab drivers fine with stopping at a local store before taking us to the port? Do you both go into the store, or does one stay with the cab and the luggage? What should we expect to pay the driver for this detour?

I'd wait until you get here unless you have luggage space to burn and are not concerned about weight at checkin with your airline. Weight of luggage continues to be an issue with them and liquids sure do weigh more than socks.

The cab drivers will take you anywhere you want to go. There are a number of stores not all that far out of the way to stop by on your way to the port.

I usually run into the store (being the adventurous type) and leave the fam in the security of the "I-wonder-if-he's-been-arrested-lately" cab drivers care.

I'd bet that it will cost you five or seven dollars extra for this detour so maybe $20 total from the airport to Port Everglades via Crown Liquors or Publix grocery store. More if you buy drugs from him/her. Depends on how fast you are. The meter is running and time is money! You could practice this at a local store where you live to get a better idea of this. Pick one you've not been in before or you're cheating.

Speaking of cheating

You know the cruise lines frown upon/don't allow/are clueless about bringing stuff like you're talking about on to the ship right?

Someone here will probably get all bent out of shape at the thought of you bringing your 12 pack of Tab, case of Schlitz or bottles of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill along for the ride.

To heck with them

It's your cruise; roll your cooler right on without caring that everybody is pointing at you and will be talking behind your back for the rest of the voyage wondering how you lost your way while looking for your Carnival cruise in 1983 and wound up on the fabulous Caribbean Princess.

Bon Voyage!

:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

CruiseFever! I promise to leave the styrofoam cooler at home, and will only take my smart, Igloo collapsable cooler on board stocked with the finest of bottled waters and premium soft drinks along with a vintage of fine wines. :) :) :)

Oooh! Those Igloo's are classy!

:)

Done this twice, asked the cabby to stop at a drug or convenience store both times, got our soda, juice, and flip flops (realized we had forgotten to pack them) in under 5 minutes for about 5 bucks.

And Princess doesn't care if you bring soda on board with you, not sure what Cruise Fever is talking about, so don't worry!

We were on the CB in September. After embarkation / security, grabbing a bite to eat, and making our dinner reservations we left the ship. We took a cab to the Publix, about $6 if I remember correctly, and purchased sodas, water, a couple things that we forgot, and headed back to the ship. We showed our cruise cards, put the grocery bags through security, and embarked the ship again.

We had some nice "why didn't we think of that comments" from people on the elevator when we returned. It was a very easy thing to do, and we didn't have to worry about flying with extra supplies.

As a note, we only drank the sodas / water in our cabin and used them for mixers, and did (as my statement at the end of the week showed) buy other drinks on board. :D

Is PUBLIX still there?:confused:

Did they rebuild/remodel it?:confused:

When I was in Ft. Lauderdale in September the old PUBLIX on 17th was gutted!:eek:

We headed over to Winn Dixie just across the driveway from Crown Liquors and across the street as you head west from the old Publix.:D

Archived