Suggestion on what to do in Sicily for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

Go to Taormina. And if you have an opportunity, a short visit to Castelmola (it is close to Taormina) is a nice addition for the views. How you accomplish this is the question. Most first time visitors will take a cruise line excursion (it is about a 40-50 min drive) although there are other options for a private tour, hiring a taxi, using the train, public bus, rental car, etc.

Hank

We are also in Messina but from 11 to 8. Any chance we can do Taormina and the Godfather Tour too? Thinking of maybe with a Private Tour Co? Problem is the hours we are in Messina though... May make it difficult -

Go to Taormina. And if you have an opportunity, a short visit to Castelmola (it is close to Taormina) is a nice addition for the views. How you accomplish this is the question. Most first time visitors will take a cruise line excursion (it is about a 40-50 min drive) although there are other options for a private tour, hiring a taxi, using the train, public bus, rental car, etc.

Hank

I vote Taormina too, its a wonderful place and do not miss the opportunity to eat a "real" delicious canoli :)

• 2 weeks later...

Try this website for a bus from Messina to Taormina:

I have not used this info and chose the ship's excursion because I had too little time.

I read that the bus ride can take up to 2 hours so one can go by bus and return by train which only took about 1/2 hour.

http://www.interbus.it/

I picked up the following info from the internet:

<<It’s much better to arrive in Taormina by bus since the bust station is located in town and the train station is shared with Giardini and located down on the coast. You would then be required to bus from the train station to town.

Messina’s port is very near the train station.

Buses leave Messina from P.zza Della Repubblica and arrive in*Taormina’s bus terminal on via Pirandello. Messina’s train station and buses leave from the same area and both are an easy walk (about 100 metres) from Messina’s port.

Unless your cruise ship docks at the "Rizzo" pier, you could be as much as a mile from the train station. It really depends on where your ship docks.

It’s much better to arrive in Taormina by bus since the bust station is located in town and the train station is shared with Giardini and located down on the coast. You would then be required to bus from the train station to town.>>

I hope that helps.