Putting Cash on Sail and Sign Cards

I'm cruising at the end of the month and for this one I'm going to be putting cash on to the ship card instead of linking my credit card, if I don't end up using the whole amount that's on the card, will that be refunded to me at the end of the cruise?

If you don't use it all it will be refunded.

There are some rules about this and I believe that you need to be in credit cash wise I think about $200 if your account falls below the threshold passengers services will contact you to add more or a credit card.

This is similar to a hotel requesting a credit card for extra charges that may occur but only charging if there are extras that you have not paid for in advance.

Best way around this is to register the credit card in your account but make sure you have enough cash in the account for it to be not charged for anything.

Okay, no worries. Thanks for that.

I want to avoid registering my credit card as I want to use that for when we're in ports and don't want the ship to do that double holding thing they do with the funds so it looks like you're being charged double until they release the hold at the end of the cruise.

Okay, no worries. Thanks for that.

I want to avoid registering my credit card as I want to use that for when we're in ports and don't want the ship to do that double holding thing they do with the funds so it looks like you're being charged double until they release the hold at the end of the cruise.

Cash is good with the Credit card to back it up. BTW, the ship has not put a hold (like hotels may) on my card ever:D

I found this on the Princess website you didn't say which cruise line but this an example of what happens at embarkation.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Look under cashless cruising. It is approx $300 now as a minimum per person.

Edited by Te Aroha
adding information

I've been on the Pearl and Eden and both times I've put $200 onto my S&S card, no credit card required for "back up" and at the end of the cruise I've gotten the remainder back with no hassles at all. Was a very simple procedure; the hard part was waiting in line at reception.

I'm not sure about other cruise lines but P&O also give you a "credit" on your cards so you don't have to put money into them straight away, I think it might be $20 or so - I was able to buy a glass of coke and a bottle of alcohol for my partner both times from Charlies Bar (and some other bar on Eden) before I put money on my card later that night, the cost of those items just came off what I had put on if it was above the $20 or what ever it is P&O give you. Cash is the way to go IMO, have heard too many horror stories about credit card holds on their FB page.

I shocked myself last cruise, I barely spent anything!!! *shocked*

I wonder if I can match that one next cruise!! (Those who have been on Carnival Spirit, what are their onboard shops like?)

I've been on the Pearl and Eden and both times I've put $200 onto my S&S card, no credit card required for "back up" and at the end of the cruise I've gotten the remainder back with no hassles at all. Was a very simple procedure; the hard part was waiting in line at reception.

I'm not sure about other cruise lines but P&O also give you a "credit" on your cards so you don't have to put money into them straight away, I think it might be $20 or so - I was able to buy a glass of coke and a bottle of alcohol for my partner both times from Charlies Bar (and some other bar on Eden) before I put money on my card later that night, the cost of those items just came off what I had put on if it was above the $20 or what ever it is P&O give you. Cash is the way to go IMO, have heard too many horror stories about credit card holds on their FB page.

This is great info- I'm sailing with P&O on the Pacific Jewel :)